Firewall not automatically detected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there everyone...

I have a slight problem with my Windows Live OneCare firewall... When I start up my computer, it seems to not detect the firewall being turned on. Right when I get to my desktop, the bubble pops up telling me that my firewall is not on and I need to manually turn it on... If I don't manually turn it on, after my desktop is fully loaded, it then detects the firewall and tells me that it has been turned on.

I guess it's not a huge problem, but is this normal? Is there any way for the firewall to be detected straight away or does it just take that small amount of time before it becomes normal?

Thanks.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:46 AM

Answers

• This is likely due to a resource problem at startup. I suspect that you are getting the warning from the Windows Security Center before OneCare has had a chance to fully load and report its status to the Security Center. If you have many programs starting when the computer boots, those programs are all fighting for resources and some have to wait their turn, including OneCare.

You can open OneCare and review your startup programs on the Tune-up tab - "change startup settings" and disable programs that you don't actually need to run at start.

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:12 PM