Required Lab for Windows & configuration and administration (70-680) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am want to do some practice On windows automate installtion , imaging . So i need lab environment for that .

If there is some thing like virtual lab . It will be very good..

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 11:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Jilkar,

I would start by downloading and installing the latest version of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDK). Open the Deployment Workbench from the start menu and start reading the documentation in the program's help menu. In this document you can learn about the different approaches for installation like Little Touch Installation (LTI) and Zero Touch Installation (ZTI). The documentation not only covers the more detailed stuff, but also the more top down approach like planning and deciding which approach is best for your learning needs. You probably want to start with LTI which is easy to use and is good enough for most organizations.

I don't know if there is a virtual lab for this. My previous experiences with virtual labs were a bit disappointing regarding performance. But this might be different today. You will need 2 computers in most cases, in addition to your own personal computer connected to the internet for reading documentation, downloading software etc. One computer will be running Windows Server 2008 R2 and the on other you will be installing Windows 7.

In most cases you would also need to download and install the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) for Windows 7 and the Windows AIK Supplement for Windows 7 SP1. Of course you would also need a copy of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.  (The enterprise evaluation versions are fine for this.)

If you have a fast computer with lots of memory and enough disk space you can run your lab in virtual machines on your own computer and you won't need additional hardware. You will need at least 4 GB of memory for this, but 8 GB or more is recommended. Expect to allocate up to 100 GB of disk space. Fast drives are recommended. Preferable an SSD, if you can afford this. Also, storing the server and the client VM's on different disks is recommended. Most free Virtual Machine software (e.g. VMware Player, Oracle Virtual Box) is capable enough, however Microsoft Virtual PC does not run Windows Server 2008 R2. Be sure to isolate the Virtual Machines from your production or home network.

If you don't have the required resources yourself you could talk to your employer about this. Maybe you could use company hardware for this. It is always a good idea to have a lab for testing purposes separate from the production network. By setting up this lab you could both develop your skills and benefit your company this way. Learning on the job is the most effective way to prepare for the exam. Be sure to document as much as you can, so you can share your experiences with others.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:07 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:40 AM