How do I take ownership of an external drive when I receive the message 'Access is denied'? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am using Vista and am trying to access an external drive after reformatting it.

I am logged in as an administrator and User Account Control is activated. It looks as though I need to take ownership of the drive before I can access it.

In Windows Explorer I right click on the drive name and select Properties, Security, Advanced, Continue (twice). Under Current owner the dialogue box says 'Unable to display current owner'. Under Change owner to I select my user name from the list and click on Apply. I then get an error message: 'Unable to set new owner on Iomega_HDD (F:). Access is denied.'

Please can someone help?!

Thanks.

Clare

Friday, December 3, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

•  

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare

You should not need to take ownership of a drive after formatting it. It would appear that something went wrong with the formatting process or the drive itself is failing. 

Go here for further assistance, though: 

Vista: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, December 3, 2010 6:27 PM