"A disk read error occurred" after restoring to a hyper v VM RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help me out here.  I had a physical machine that I backup with windows home server.  I created a VM and used the recovery ISO to restore this machine to a VM.  All went fine until I tried to boot the machine.  I get:

A disk read error occurred
    Press ctrl alt delete to restart.

Has anyone had this error on a VM?  Could it be due to the fact that the VM can only support IDE drives and the laptop was running a SATA?

I can browse the file system using some boot disks and even can load the vhd up in winimage to view the files, so they are there, I just can't get it to boot :(.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:22 AM

Answers

• Could it be due to the fact that the VM can only support IDE drives and the laptop was running a SATA?
    This, probably. The laptop likely didn't have an IDE driver loaded, and now it needs one to boot successfully. You could try drastic measures like replacing hal.dll in the restored image with a fresh one from a Windows installation disk (make sure you use one from the same version of Windows). This will allow Windows to rediscover hardware, and could allow it to load an IDE driver if one is present.

But in general, Windows Home Server is not designed to move a functional OS from one arbitrary set of hardware to a different set of hardware. It's designed to get a computer that's failed back up again in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:54 AM