Export firewall settings for use on another computer and/or a reinstall? RRS feed

• Question

• Does such a feature exist? If not, it should. Smile
    The reason I ask is that once OneCare 'learns' all of my applications that I allow outbound, it would be nice to be able to export those settings and re-import them elsewhere.

Better yet, provide a Powershell script that can add and remove firewall settings for OneCare but that would probably be more advanced than 99% of the targeted audience.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• That's a great suggestion, but it doesn't yet exist in the product. Can you file a bug on Connect and mark it as a suggestion?

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:22 AM
  • I don't know how effective this would be since it would be sensitive to exact versioning information including each file's md5 hash, which as I recall is stored within the firewall's database information.

However, if you'll allow me to build on your original idea, maybe this could be performed by the Hub PC in a Mutli-PC Circle. Since this might be expanded to more than 3 computers in the future it seems this would be a perfect basis for any sort of multi-PC management required and much simpler for the novice user to perform. It might also allow managing these functions remotely at separate locations if the decision list were made available to the Administrator at the Hub PC.

How does this combination sound to you two? Feel free to include this in your submission ATiensivuMVP, I likely won't get around to creating one of these any time soon.

OneCareBear

Friday, September 14, 2007 4:47 AM
  • Making it manageable on the hub certainly makes sense, if it were possible. I didn't think of the md5 hash, but the export/import function may simply be the programs and paths with the port/protocol details. On import, there would need to be search functionality to confirm each imported record with the locally installed file being allowed.

-steve

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:18 PM