Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems with "permissions" of the shared folders on my client Win7 x64 computer. Originally installing Vail and the associated Connector worked fine. I had one incident where this client computer went "Offline" for 5 days on Vail. I didn't have any notification so I wasn't looking. When I did find out I uninstalled the connector and then reinstalled and the backups started again.

The Shared Folders on this Win7 client are not letting me see the files in the folders, no permissions. I do have an account set up on Vail for this client which I did from the original install. This morning I also noticed that WMC can no longer see these Share Folders such as music, access denied.

What am I missing here? 

--
    Don
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:03 PM

Answers

• Can you file this into a connect bug?  that’s really odd behavior, MSO and share access shouldn’t depend on each other.

Thanks Don!
       Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    "Don C." wrote in message news:d1c7bd03-f840-4244-a314-053c35862909...
    Sean,

After reading this I thought that I would look at something. On the main desktop that I am using I went to "Media Streaming Options" which was off. So I decided to turn it on and when it was complete I could get access to all the shared folders from this computer without problems. I then turned OFF MSO and it worked still, all folders are accessible.

Moving on to WMC I went into Tasks/Settings Media Libraries and was able to update those to correspond to the Vail Serve. I was able to play Videos/Movies and play music from the server. Everything is now working as it should and the last thing I am going to do after I finish this post is reboot all of these computers including Vail and see what happens.

I also wanted to add that my 2nd Desktop is now able to access all shared folders and just to go one more step I installed the connector on a Win7 x64 Laptop and it is also connecting without any problems.

I really don't what made this change everything, turning Media Streaming On/Off  but will make notes of this for future builds.

--
    Don
    "Sean Daniel - MSFT" wrote in message news:bfceb7cd-f061-4fcc-b7d0-569d6a835341...
    The last time I saw this at a customer location, the Windows 7 client had a corrupt IPv4 stack.  Can you get to shares on other clients from that PC?  I assume other clients can get to the server?  Did you do anything with certificates in certificate stores?

Sean

"Don C." wrote in message news:dfb8c9b3-90b7-49f9-84d0-a83b84acfa5b...
    I can ping it both ways....

--
    Don
    "Ken Warren" wrote in message news:14e60ccb-43b3-4686-a4bf-e819ae8d0fe9...
    Can you ping your Vail server by name? By IP address?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:35 PM

All replies

• Can you ping your Vail server by name? By IP address?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:56 PM
  • I can ping it both ways.... 

--
    Don
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:11 PM
  • The last time I saw this at a customer location, the Windows 7 client had a corrupt IPv4 stack.  Can you get to shares on other clients from that PC?  I assume other clients can get to the server?  Did you do anything with certificates in certificate stores?

Sean

--
    Don
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:15 AM
  • I can't get into the shares on other clients, I have 2 Win7 x64 desktops for this beta, they act the same way. The reason I really haven't noticed it is I have been concentrating more on the Dashboard, RA and Client/Server backup which has been working.

I started to look at the Shared Folders because in v1 there was a Public Shared Folder and a lot of times I would use it to quick transfer or work on a Word document or something. When I started to look at WMC I also noticed that there were still mappings to Server/Photos which isn't there anymore it is no Pictures.

I looked around at certificates for a bit when setting this up, certificate warnings where cleared up after installation except if you RDP'd into Vail.

Now onto the IPv4 stack, don't know about this and haven't really looked in that direction. Is there any documentation that I could look at? 

--
    Don
    "Sean Daniel - MSFT" wrote in message news:bfceb7cd-f061-4fcc-b7d0-569d6a835341...
    The last time I saw this at a customer location, the Windows 7 client had a corrupt IPv4 stack.  Can you get to shares on other clients from that PC?  I assume other clients can get to the server?  Did you do anything with certificates in certificate stores?

Sean

--
    Don
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Fixing your IP stack isn't terribly difficult. I'm pretty sure it will work the same way in Windows 7 that it does in Vista.

To fix your IP stack:

• Open an elevated command prompt by e.g. typing cmd in the search box on the Start menu then pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter .
    • In the command prompt, type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
    • Reboot.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Sean,

After reading this I thought that I would look at something. On the main desktop that I am using I went to "Media Streaming Options" which was off. So I decided to turn it on and when it was complete I could get access to all the shared folders from this computer without problems. I then turned OFF MSO and it worked still, all folders are accessible.

Moving on to WMC I went into Tasks/Settings Media Libraries and was able to update those to correspond to the Vail Serve. I was able to play Videos/Movies and play music from the server. Everything is now working as it should and the last thing I am going to do after I finish this post is reboot all of these computers including Vail and see what happens.

I also wanted to add that my 2nd Desktop is now able to access all shared folders and just to go one more step I installed the connector on a Win7 x64 Laptop and it is also connecting without any problems.

I really don't what made this change everything, turning Media Streaming On/Off  but will make notes of this for future builds.

--
    Don

Sean

--
    Don
    • Marked as answer by DonCarlson Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DonCarlson Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks for this information, will store it for future use. I was able to get this going, explanation on what happened in response to Sean.

--
    Don
    "Ken Warren" wrote in message news:638e424f-8c9c-450a-8a52-6dc8d1640992...

Fixing your IP stack isn't terribly difficult. I'm pretty sure it will work the same way in Windows 7 that it does in Vista.

To fix your IP stack:

• Open an elevated command prompt by e.g. typing cmd in the search box on the Start menu then pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter ..
    • In the command prompt, type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
    • Reboot.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Can you file this into a connect bug?  that’s really odd behavior, MSO and share access shouldn’t depend on each other.

Thanks Don!
       Sean

Sean,

I really don't what made this change everything, turning Media Streaming On/Off  but will make notes of this for future builds.

--
    Don

Sean

--
    Don
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Done -

--
    Don
    "Sean Daniel - MSFT" wrote in message news:08109fad-bca1-45d2-ba0e-722f7bc03c7b...
    Can you file this into a connect bug?  that’s really odd behavior, MSO and share access shouldn’t depend on each other.

Thanks Don!
       Sean

Sean,

--
    Don

Sean

--
    Don
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:25 AM