How to install Windows 2000 from the CD alone RRS feed

• Question

• We've got an iMac and I've just installed Parallels on it, allowing me to install a Windows system. I've got disks for Windows 2000 (including the boot-up diskettes), but the iMac has only a CD drive, no floppy drive. The CD contains all the info -- one can create the boot-up diskettes from the CD. But can one install directly from the CD? Where would be best to ask about that? Thanks!
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

• Some virtual software support virtual diskettes. Check Apple's forums to see if Parallel is one of them.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rick Wicks Friday, March 12, 2010 10:34 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• For changing the boot setting of Apple computers, visit http://discussions.apple.com

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, though I'm not convinced it's what I need.

I've got Parallels installed, which essentially converts the computer to a PC, allowing installation of a Windows system.

But the Windows 2000 installation -- for reasons unknown to me -- requires using four floppy disks to start the installation process. All the info for creating the floppy disks is in the CD, so there must be a way to install from the CD?

But when I start Parallels and it asks me to insert the installation CD, it doesn't recognize the CD -- because it needs something from the floppy info in order to boot up.

So the question is, how to get the installation process to recognize the floppy info on the CD -- or, alternatively, would it be possible to create "floppies" on another CD, and boot up from that before continuing with the regular installation CD?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Parallel is a virtual machine. it makes your MAC appear to Windows 2000 as a physical PC, so Windows 2000 does not see your physical CDROM, it is looking for CDROM in the virtual machine and it cannot find one. 

You do not need a boot floppy. You just need to change Parallel settings so you have a virtualized CDROM (and with a virtualized CD in it) and make sure the virtual machine boot from it before it tries to boot from the hard disk. This is a requirement for all virtual machines, not just Parallel.

I am not an expert in Parallel. For Parallel/MAC specific questions, ask on apple.com.

Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Thanks very much for your help. I'm still puzzled by one thing though. Even in a "normal" PC (e.g., Dell), I can't install Windows 2000 from the CD. It requires making four boot diskettes first (FROM the CD), then using those four boot diskettes, before the system will recognize the CD and then continue the installation. Parallels is quite happy with a bootable installation CD -- that's what it's looking for. It's just that the Windows 2000 installation CD (as it is) is NOT bootable. Is that consistent with your advice above, or does it change anything? As of now there's NO system installed on Parallels at all. Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:35 PM
  • You have the wrong CD if you cannot boot from a bootable CD. I boot from my Windows 2000 install CD all the time... that is, before I switch to XP. Maybe the CD is not made to be bootable (I got dozens of bootable and unbootable Windows 2000 CDs from Microsoft) , ask the author of the CD.

If the CD is indeed designed to be bootable, maybe the boot area is damaged, ask for a replacement.

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:53 PM
  • This Windows 2000 CD was never intended to be bootable itself. I don't know why, but it has info for making four floppy installation diskettes -- AFTER which one inserts the CD to continue the process. But -- since I don't have a floppy drive -- I'm wondering if there's a different way to access the installation data that normally goes onto the four diskettes.

For example, could I make "virtual" diskettes on another CD, then use that for the first step?

Maybe I'll have to give up on it. I really appreciate all your time thinking and writing about it!

Rick Wicks, Göteborg, Sverige (Sweden) -- and Alaska!
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Some virtual software support virtual diskettes. Check Apple's forums to see if Parallel is one of them.

Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rick Wicks Friday, March 12, 2010 10:34 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:03 PM