What is the difference between a user and resource? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference between a user and resource?
    Monday, July 6, 2015 3:09 PM

Answers

• EPM Admin --

Good question.  A user is a person who only uses Project Web App but who does not work on tasks in projects.  Your executives are a good example of users.  They use PWA, but they do not work on tasks in projects.  Resources are the people who actually do work on tasks in projects.  In each project, we refer to them as team members.  Resources are the people or equipment that a PM adds to the project team and assigns to tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by EPM Admin Wednesday, July 15, 2015 6:59 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 3:54 PM
  • To add, Users are the only entity to which Project security can be applied.

Resources can also represent many things besides people. Work resources can represent people, teams and roles/skills. Material resources can represent consumables like concrete. Cost resources can represent budget and expenses.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog | Learn Resource Management

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:35 PM
  • I struggled with this very question when I first implemented PS2010.  Here's an example of how I use it to demonstrate the difference (my org employs over 12k; want the resource pool of employees but do not need that many users).  I add resources without the ability to "log into server" in order to create the resource pool.  The project owner then creates their "build team bucket" from the resource pool and these members become available to select from when assigning project plan tasks (the resource in Project Professional).  If you give the ability of a resource to "log into server"...you give them the access to update their tasks through PWA, i.e. you just made them a user.  (and if I remember right, a resource who can log in and is an active user counts toward the license).  Also note that once you make them a user, you cannot remove them as a user group; you have to "inactivate" their status.   Why you might want to make certain resources also system users...you gain all the functionality of your resources updating their assignments directly in PWA as they are a system user in the team members group with that ability.  Be sure to build your team with all resources involved on the project (stakeholders) not just the ones you are adding tasks assignments to in Project Professional as this determines their permissions to the project team site.  Not sure if I'm helpful, it's a loaded response but I wanted to share. 

Monday, July 6, 2015 9:18 PM

All replies

• EPM Admin --

Good question.  A user is a person who only uses Project Web App but who does not work on tasks in projects.  Your executives are a good example of users.  They use PWA, but they do not work on tasks in projects.  Resources are the people who actually do work on tasks in projects.  In each project, we refer to them as team members.  Resources are the people or equipment that a PM adds to the project team and assigns to tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 6, 2015 3:54 PM
  • To add, Users are the only entity to which Project security can be applied.

Resources can also represent many things besides people. Work resources can represent people, teams and roles/skills. Material resources can represent consumables like concrete. Cost resources can represent budget and expenses.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog | Learn Resource Management

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:35 PM
  • I struggled with this very question when I first implemented PS2010.  Here's an example of how I use it to demonstrate the difference (my org employs over 12k; want the resource pool of employees but do not need that many users).  I add resources without the ability to "log into server" in order to create the resource pool.  The project owner then creates their "build team bucket" from the resource pool and these members become available to select from when assigning project plan tasks (the resource in Project Professional).  If you give the ability of a resource to "log into server"...you give them the access to update their tasks through PWA, i.e. you just made them a user.  (and if I remember right, a resource who can log in and is an active user counts toward the license).  Also note that once you make them a user, you cannot remove them as a user group; you have to "inactivate" their status.   Why you might want to make certain resources also system users...you gain all the functionality of your resources updating their assignments directly in PWA as they are a system user in the team members group with that ability.  Be sure to build your team with all resources involved on the project (stakeholders) not just the ones you are adding tasks assignments to in Project Professional as this determines their permissions to the project team site.  Not sure if I'm helpful, it's a loaded response but I wanted to share. 

Monday, July 6, 2015 9:18 PM
  • K-Dee, you mentioned something I wanted to add to. You can turn a resource into a user (that is, a PWA account consuming a PWA CAL). However, you can't go the other direction, changing a licensed user into a resource who is in the pool but can't log on.

Why might this matter? It prevents you from reusing a purchased CAL. I have some licensed user accounts that ended up not using PWA for one reason or another, and I'd like to revert them to a plain-old resource, not consuming a license. Can't do that. As long as the user is needed in the system as a resource, I must keep paying support on that CAL and buying more new CALs than I want to. Only if I deactivate the user will my Active Users count go down.

This is PS2010 - don't know how licensing works now, but I do know that if I buy a PS2010 CAL today, I have to pay PS2013 prices for it.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:44 PM