File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal RRS feed

• Question

• I got a nasty problem that I can not solve. Got a WHS system with three disks. One system disk and two others. This is a development system and there is no data on it. But somehow by doing some stupid things I got myslef into a situation that one of my data disks show up twice. One is healty and another instance of the exact same disk as "Misssing". When I try to remove that missing drive I get this "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal". I have done all the things I know, rebooting, disconnecting that disk and trying to remove it, etc, and nothing works. Even if I try to remove the helthy disk, it tells me: There is not enough space on your server to safely remove this hard drive. But I know thete is. I got a third very big disk compleely empty. Another data point is that on the right hand side WHS is in a loop saying "Calculating Sizes" and it never finishes.

So it seems like I got my disks screwed up some how. I know I can fix this if I reload the whole OS, but I am trying to prevent that. Is there another way to clean up from this mess? I am ok changing registry and stuff too if needed....

Thanks in advance...

BJ

BJ
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:53 PM

All replies

• Do a new installation. Windows Home Server keeps disk information in several locations, and it sounds like you've managed to get them out of sync. Anything short of a new installation will leave your server in an unknown, and possibly unstable, state.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Well.....right after this post, I found another related post that suggested regedit. Did the regedit and it solved my problem.

Thanks to willy (Billy The Kid) who posted that regedit solution. That saved a 1/2 day of server reload.

BJ

BJ
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:39 PM