Service Pack 2 ????? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed PP1 without any big problems -- only one little message about a driver or service not starting.

BUT --  when I go to Control Panel\System, my version is reporting "Windows Home Server Service Pack 2!!!"

Settings/Resources shows Version 6.0.1771.0, and the Operating System List  under Computers and Backup now says "Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

Strange according to what I have read.

bc

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:24 PM

Answers

•  butchconner wrote:

(1) I find it strange because I downloaded and installed Power Pack 1 and the filename had v1 in it.

(2) I also find it strange because there has been no Service Pack 1.

(3) And I find it strange because somewhere in the forums I thought I read where some said it should

read "Windows Home Server Power Pack 1."

So I was surprised to see "Service Pack 2."

I don't care what you call it -- I just want to know the right stuff is getting installed and that that's not

the reason I am having problems installing Power Pack 1.  Now that I know what is going on, I will

handle it.

bc

Thanks for the feedback,  I was just trying to get clarification on your original post if you thought there was a  bug here that you thought we needed to address.

(1)  Eventually Power Pack 1 will be made available via Windows Update and nobody will see the file name of the update package.  It is an update package that includes both fixes and new functionality and gets named as part of the build process based on pre-defined file naming guidelines.

(2)  The Window Home Server team does not separate service packs from feature packs.  Our goal is to ship "power packs" that improve the product over time.  Power Packs are minor releases and will be made to existing customers via Windows Update automatically.  Think of Power Pack 1 as 80% feature pack and 20% service pack.

(3)  It is called "Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1" as is displayed in the Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Resources page.  Some parts of the underlying OS we can not easily tweak the strings.  This will change over time when we have more control over the setup / branding experience.

Please keep the feedback coming !!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:23 AM

All replies

• What do you find strange? 

The team focuses on getting all of the strings right in the Windows Home Server Console.  Sometimes we don't have complete control over what is displayed in the Control Panel and sometimes we don't make it a priority to fix things that people should rarely or never see.  

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I find it strange because I downloaded and installed Power Pack 1 and the filename had v1 in it.

I also find it strange because there has been no Service Pack 1.

And I find it strange because somewhere in the forums I thought I read where some said it should

I don't care what you call it -- I just want to know the right stuff is getting installed and that that's not

the reason I am having problems installing Power Pack 1.  Now that I know what is going on, I will

handle it.

bc

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:51 AM
  • The filename is going to have "v1" in it because this is v1 of Windows Home Server.

You will see "Service Pack 2" in System Properties because Windows Home Server is built on top of Windows Server 2003, and the text string for Windows Server 2003 was changed to say Windows Home Server.

You should see in the Windows Home Server Console on the Resources tab of the Settings window, "Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1".

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:20 AM
  •  butchconner wrote:

(1) I find it strange because I downloaded and installed Power Pack 1 and the filename had v1 in it.

(2) I also find it strange because there has been no Service Pack 1.

(3) And I find it strange because somewhere in the forums I thought I read where some said it should

handle it.

bc

Thanks for the feedback,  I was just trying to get clarification on your original post if you thought there was a  bug here that you thought we needed to address.

(1)  Eventually Power Pack 1 will be made available via Windows Update and nobody will see the file name of the update package.  It is an update package that includes both fixes and new functionality and gets named as part of the build process based on pre-defined file naming guidelines.

(2)  The Window Home Server team does not separate service packs from feature packs.  Our goal is to ship "power packs" that improve the product over time.  Power Packs are minor releases and will be made to existing customers via Windows Update automatically.  Think of Power Pack 1 as 80% feature pack and 20% service pack.

(3)  It is called "Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1" as is displayed in the Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Resources page.  Some parts of the underlying OS we can not easily tweak the strings.  This will change over time when we have more control over the setup / branding experience.

Please keep the feedback coming !!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:23 AM