CRM App requirements for Surface and iPad RRS feed

• Question

• We host CRM 2013 on our own servers internally and I would like to deploy the CRM app to our iPads and Surfaces.  Is there a list of requirements for the server to be running to work with the app and/or a how to guide to make things work?  I'm assuming we need to switch the authentication schemes around, but have had little to no luck getting it working/finding a doc for doing it with CRM 2013 as opposed to 2011.

Thanks in advance...

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:35 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure about the document, but you need to enable ADFS and IFD to get the mobile apps working.  Use the Deployment Guide on those and you should be good to go.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Monday, November 25, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Wayne is correct. You'll need an IFD to access CRM from a mobile device. Configuring IFD is similar to that of CRM 2011. You can get the required information from the installation guide.

You can also check this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/crm-customer-center/crm-for-tablets-set-up-and-use.aspx

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Monday, November 25, 2013 11:33 PM
  • What has been found as the best "setup" for CRM though?  We've tried deploying ADFS on the CRM server itself but have had little luck.  Is it deploying ADFS on the CRM server or deploying it somewhere else?  We've tried the docs from 2011 and it comes up as 500 errors when doing the redirect to the sts link.  I've yet to find a combination that works.

Thanks,

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:44 PM
  • The ADFS server should be its own server. Also, if you have a DMZ in your network, you should also set up an ADFS Proxy in the DMZ to act as a passthrough.  Setting up ADFS on the CRM server is very difficult, because ADFS must have the default ports and website, meaning you have to install it before CRM on the same server.  Much better to let it be its own server.

You can ignore the Office 365 stuff, but this site helps with setting up an ADFS Proxy: http://office365support.ca/setting-up-adfs-proxy-server-part-1/

Remember, the ADFS server needs its own security certificate beyond what CRM needs for its server.

Plus, once you get that, you still have to go through the IFD setup. And don't forget that the name of your CRM server and the name of your organization should not be the same, as that can cause you heartache trying to set up IFD. 

All that said, the CRM 2011 docs should work, CRM 2013 didn't fundamentally change the process, it just added support for ADFS 2.1/2.2 and OData Auth.  Actually, come to think of it, Upgrading to ADFS 2.1/2.2 might be required (which means using Server 2012/2012R2) so you have access to the OData Auth endpoint.  I don't remember if the mobile apps use OData endpoint for authentication or not.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Edited by Wayne Walton Monday, December 2, 2013 2:40 PM Confusing typo
    Monday, December 2, 2013 2:39 PM
  • My understanding is the app for iPad only works with online deployments. Not on premise.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:22 PM