Support for "continuous sync" and unreliable networks RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to use Sync Framework to push files generated on a client up to a server over an unreliable wireless connection (cellular).  SyncToy handles this, but the sync must be initiated by user action or schedule.  My question: does MS Sync Framework support any sort of "continuous sync" where it could run as a service in the background and continuously synchronize file changes to the server?  (I know Vista supports offline folders now, but I have to make this work on XP.)
    I'm looking for a way to:
    1. send files as soon as they are created
    2. automatically re-send when network connectivity is restored after an outage.
    Any guidance on how to tackle this with Sync Framework would be most welcome.
    Warm regards,
    -Roy Feague
    Satori Labs
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Roy,

MSF does not have out of the box support for the 2 subjects you mentioned - they are the responsibility of the sync application.  Of course for #2 MSF supports recovering from interrupted syncs efficiently from a data convergence perspective, but is not responsible for restarting sync sessions etc.

So you'd have to write/use a file watcher that monitors the directory and kicks off SyncToy as necessary (or your own custom MSF sync solution).  And the app would also have to restart failed syncs when network connectivity is restored.

-Jesse
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:32 PM