none
Appalling, deceitful censorship and misinformation RRS feed

• General discussion

• QuestionIs it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media? (Redux)

• 10 hours 8 minutes agoDavid Dickinson Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Vote As Helpful
      This is a follow up to the previously robust conversation by the same name (linked below).

Unfortunately, Carey Frisch (MVP, Moderator) erroneously marked a completely irrelevant comment having nothing whatsoever to do with the very specific and explicit question that I asked in that thread as an answer.  What's worse, that thread is now locked:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/9fa74e18-2bd4-4f39-a776-573a3a27e124/

So, since I promised to keep folks updated with what I learned from Microsoft, I am posting those results in another thread in the social.answers side rather than here on the more appropriate TechNet side.  Yes, you don't have to tell me.  But I'm afraid that someone might prematurely close this thread if this it becomes as lively as it did before, even thought TechNet is a more appropriate place for this conversation.

At any rate, I'm keeping the social.answers thread updated with the responses from Microsoft regarding this issue:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/4fb5af41-8301-4685-9bdb-f3d143040e6c

And as long as this thread is open, I will also keep this one updated.

To summarize the issue, I want to know if it's legal to delete the file "ei.cfg" from Windows 7 installation media.  That hack to the media has been floating around the web for a couple of months, and I was surprised to see it posted in some third-party Windows 7 forums.  Some people thought it was a violation of the EULA because doing so creates a medium that can be used to install any edition of Windows 7, even though Microsoft has not itself distributed such media.  But the moderators and owners of those forums did not seem concerned.  The issue seems unclear to me.  However, Microsoft documents how to make changes to that file for various purposes at

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744535(WS.10).aspx

In that other TechNet thread, Ronnie Vernon provided a link to a page providing an appropriate contact point at Microsoft for asking this question at

Microsoft Product Sales and Licensing Solution Center

I've presented the question there.  So far, I've gotten a little runaround from Microsoft, but now it seems that a definitive answer will be coming in a couple of days, if not sooner.

Since some folks have asked, I've explained my reasons for pursuing this issue in that thread at social.answers (also, again, because I don't want to start another very interesting conversation here only to have someone cut it off erroneously and prematurely.)

Keep your eye on that social.answers thread.  This could prove interesting.

I hope this helps.

All Replies

• 9 minutes agoRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Vote As Helpful
      Hi David

Your original thread on this subject was not locked because of the subject or any information you posted.

It was locked because of all the off topic posts being made to that thread that were designed to simply confuse the issue by some members who have a different agenda than simply increasing their knowledge. Unfortunately, you and other members cannot see the 20+ off topic posts that were removed from that thread. If the thread had remained open, the off topic posts would have continued ad infinitum. 

As the thread starter, you have complete authority to unmark any post that is marked as the answer, if you do not agree with that post being marked as the answer. Since you stated that you do not agree with the post that was marked as the answer in that thread, I took the liberty of unmarking that post for you.

One tip I might give you when you are posting a discussion with Microsoft support is to include both sides of the conversation. Just posting the answer without anyone knowing what the exact question was can leave some people wondering? You can go back and edit your previous posts to include this information, if you wish.

Thanks for understanding.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    • a few seconds agoderоsnеc Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

You cannot vote on your own post
      Hi David

Your original thread on this subject was not locked because of the subject or any information you posted.

It was locked because of all the off topic posts being made to that thread that were designed to simply confuse the issue by some members who have a different agenda than simply increasing their knowledge. Unfortunately, you and other members cannot see the 20+ off topic posts that were removed from that thread. If the thread had remained open, the off topic posts would have continued ad infinitum. 

As the thread starter, you have complete authority to unmark any post that is marked as the answer, if you do not agree with that post being marked as the answer. Since you stated that you do not agree with the post that was marked as the answer in that thread, I took the liberty of unmarking that post.

One tip I might give you when you are posting a discussion with Microsoft support is to include both sides of the conversation. Just posting the answer without anyone knowing what the exact question was can leave some people wondering? You can go back and edit your previous posts to include this information, if you wish.

Thanks for understanding.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

Here's one of those deleted posts:

Ronnie, I think you realize my (deleted) posts clearly did not advocate any use of ei.cfg except for honest purposes.  In my reference to the whimsical motto Just Do It, I simply meant that sometimes there are grey areas in this world where we just plain need to be pragmatic.

Take a look at this post (from CF.MVP) that actually very helpfully pointed me to a "conventional OEM or Retail Windows Vista 64-bit DVD" to replace my existing OEM-O/S.  In that case, to use my OEM-HP-32-key, I'd likely need to tweak-down (not up) the installation provided by that (full retail fpp) disk.  Totally honest intent.

I will continue watching this thread too, to see if any official response is forthcoming.  Even then, unless an official MS link is posted, it will be second-hand info for the rest of us.

Here's another one of those deleted posts:

The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7

"The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7 helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows® 7 and Windows Server® 2008 R2 family of operating systems."

This toolkit is available to the general public, with no restrictions stated of any sort.  It even includes publicly published instructions and Readme.

There is your legal permission to modify your install disk.  This has nothing to do with EULA.  You may customize.

from thread Is it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media? (Redux)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:17 PM

All replies

• Your original thread on this subject was not locked because of the subject or any information you posted.

It was locked because of all the off topic posts being made to that thread that were designed to simply confuse the issue by some members who have a different agenda than simply increasing their knowledge. Unfortunately, you and other members cannot see the 20+ off topic posts that were removed from that thread. If the thread had remained open, the off topic posts would have continued ad infinitum.... 

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

Ronnie, my agenda is to get some truth.  I post factual information with links to it.  Not opinionated FUD.      What is yours?

And yes, Ronnie, after all that biased censorship, that thread did decay into defiant protest.  Look at that final reply that remains:

"This answer was brought to you by the KIZAZ corperation."    ( Kiss-a‌ss )

You must have overlooked that, Ronnie.  You'll distort anything for your agenda, won't you?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:44 PM