WHS2011 and Network Drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed WHS2011 and trying to link it to my Freecom Network Center, when browsing under networks i'm only given my pc (windows 7) and the WHS. I have to manually enter the full unc to get to the network folder i want. Is there something I've missed  under configuration to list all my pc's and nas boxes.

Also when I try to add path through the dashboard (for mymovies) it is not listed and if enter manually says no such drive, yet i can map the drive fine under WHS explorer 

Will I have to move all my media across to the WHS for it to be used across my network?

regards

Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but it sounds as though you are trying to use your Windows Home Server as a Desktop machine? If so, you would be better off using it as a server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:18 AM
  • I have the add-in mymovies to catalog all my films i've transferred from dvd to hard drive - most of these are on a NAS and I want to be able to set the add-in to catalog that drive, but it doesn't.

If I enter location of my shared folders on my Windows 7 PC it works fine, I just cant do the same for my NAS boxes

regards

Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:41 PM
  • There is no fundamental reason why you can't do that - I assume that the NAS boxes are running Linux and Samba shares?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:32 PM
  • On the WHS 2011 - neither of the Windows XP machines are shown in the network neighbourhood and nor are the 2 NAS Boxes or my PopcornHour - Yet all these are shown under Windows 7 Home Premium

yet the NAS Boxes and my PopcornHour are listed under media devices so it can actually see them, it just wont let me browse any shares to them

the NAS boxes are running Linux and Samba shares (both are freecom devices)

Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Firewall issue?
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:49 PM
  • no firewall issue as i can browse the shares without any problems if i enter the address \\nasbox\nasshare and it also sees the device as a media-device

once i enter the unc path the nasbox is listed in the network neighbourhood on the whs

but even if i map the share to a drive it's still not shown in the dashboard or able to access in mymovies

Saturday, July 9, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I have never used MyMovies so don't know how it works. Are you using the latest Release 2 for WHS2011? Is what you are seeing a limitation of this add-in rather than WHS2011 as you are able to see the NAS with WHS but not with the add-in?

Saturday, July 9, 2011 3:59 PM
  • For help with mymovies, you're pretty likely to have to ask the author of the add-in.

In general, though, Windows Home Server (any version) is not designed to consolidate all of your pre-existing network devices for you and expose them through a unified interface. It's designed to allow you to consolidate your data onto your server. So most likely your issues are because you want to leave your data on another device, but share/stream it from your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Don't forget i can only access the NAS by entering the UNC once that is done it gets listed properly in the network locations area

Saturday, July 9, 2011 8:09 PM
  • It doesn't matter what you can do on the server desktop, really, because technically it's not a supported feature of Windows Home Server.

As for My Movies, I see nothing on their web site that makes me think their add-in will do anything with network shares other than those on the server. I have to believe that what you want to do isn't supported by My Movies...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Regarding MyMovies on your WHS 2011, you should only have installed "My Movies for Windows Home Server 2011" on your WHS 2011.  Collection Management should be run from one of your client PC's.

Each movies within MyMovies should have a UNC path to the movie.  They can be mass changed if needed.

Your movies do not need to be resident on WHS 2011.  WHS 2011 would only store and serve the MyMovies database.

You would use another client PC with Media Center and MyMovies to play your moives.

As an example I have 3 computers involved when playing movies.  WHS 2011 serves the MyMovies database, a Media Center PC with MyMovies plays the movie and movie server provides the movie.

You are welcome to PM me if you have more questions about using MyMovies.

Texas
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, July 11, 2011 2:01 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:06 AM