Windows XP Pro Activation fails and phone call is dumped before I get to talk to an agent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I'm on the verge of dumping XP and installing Ubuntu. Why? The flaming activation process has failed.

I have an old machine, which I am trying to reload after an HDD failure. I have a genuine Win XP disk (I know it is genuine because I know the provenance). XP loads just fine.

The machine has its original Win XP sticker on it.

I get to the activation process, phone through and enter the activation code. The service then tells me the product isn't genuine and that I may have been given pirate software. I am then told to contact the vendor of the PC. No reason why, just "get stuffed" and "We're ending the call."

Nasty.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:30 PM

Answers

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:46 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:44 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:46 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:44 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered

Darin MS
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:46 PM