How can I change to Windows Home Server Vail the workgroup name RRS feed

• Question

• How can I change to Windows Home Server Vail the workgroup name? During the installation, which is not queried, it is determined group, my existing network but have a different name and I need to change anything else which involves a lot of work.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:24 AM

Answers

• You can't. Vail is configured with, and uses, a server role which doesn't permit the server name or workgroup to be changed post-installation. However, the only thing you lose is having the server appear in network neighborhood. You can still access it by name.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:27 PM
  • True, and helpful. Unfortunately, once Vail is installed, you're stuck with the workgroup name you start with. After installation completes, there's no supported way to rebuild everything.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

• You can't. Vail is configured with, and uses, a server role which doesn't permit the server name or workgroup to be changed post-installation. However, the only thing you lose is having the server appear in network neighborhood. You can still access it by name.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:27 PM
  • You can... Only during setup...

When the setup gets to the part where you are asked to name it, simply hit SHIFT-F10

you'll get a command prompt.

Type "control system" and press enter

use the system control panel that pops up to change the workgroup name but leave the server name and everything else alone.

close the window, don't reboot the system.  Continue with the setup, and once it's all going you'll have that workgroup name and the certificates in certificate services will be named properly too so you don't have to re-build that junk after the fact, which is possible as well but a real PITA.

• Proposed as answer by Geoffc1 Friday, May 27, 2011 4:35 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:52 AM
  • True, and helpful. Unfortunately, once Vail is installed, you're stuck with the workgroup name you start with. After installation completes, there's no supported way to rebuild everything.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:47 PM
  • You can... Only during setup...

When the setup gets to the part where you are asked to name it, simply hit SHIFT-F10

you'll get a command prompt.

Type "control system" and press enter

use the system control panel that pops up to change the workgroup name but leave the server name and everything else alone.

close the window, don't reboot the system.  Continue with the setup, and once it's all going you'll have that workgroup name and the certificates in certificate services will be named properly too so you don't have to re-build that junk after the fact, which is possible as well but a real PITA.

Works great on 2011 Release Candidate, Thanks

Texas
    Monday, February 7, 2011 12:43 AM
  • How'd you figure this shit out? I'm 55 yrs old plus. Computers are a passion. It worked for me!
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:59 AM
  • With the release candidate, the machine name / workgroup can be easily changed post install: as directed on the System Properties:Computer Name tab, the Certificate Authority Service must be removed 1st.

However, changing the name in this manner and reinstalling the Certificate Authority Service breaks the sever manager application.  There is no apparent way to repair it when it breaks and WHS needs to be reinstalled to make it work.

If it should not be changed, the message on the Computer Tab ->needs to be changed<- and documentation related to such ->needs to be added to the product documentation<-

Monday, March 7, 2011 9:13 PM