How do I remove a Microsoft Passport/Windows Live account from my Money File RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows 2007 and reinstalled Money 2003 but my money file requires a net passport to open. Absolutely no idea what it is and 6 years of data just out of reach. How can I load my .mny file?
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:52 AM

All replies

• And you didn't have a WLID/password on your file before you reloaded? If true, that generally has been shown to indicate that you weren't actually using the version you thought you were but were using a later version. This started happening to many users once they started selling online upgrades on-the-fly. Many people, apparently, forget that they upgraded and find the last CD they bought.

• Proposed as answer by leeph Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:46 PM
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I was able to load through the initial screen as I assume the password was in some way remembered. I have lost this since reinstall. I am pretty positive that it is Money 2003 as loaded off disc to reinstall after Windows 7. If I have upgraded as you say I still seem to need a .NET password, any solutiuons?
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:39 AM
  • If you know the WLID and not the password, there are passowrd recovery procedures on WinLive--assuming you set them up when you created the account. I suspect you can start at WindowsLive.com, sign in, forget your password?

(To others: Why put a password on a file and forget the password? Typically, the only person you end up keeping out is yourself...)

Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Tried that but I have changed service provider so it is not helpful as the password details are sent to an email address that I cannot access. Is .NET passport is the same as WLID?

Seems that somehow my password was/is emdedded in my money file.

Help!

Monday, September 6, 2010 9:15 AM
  • WindowsLiveID is the new market-driven name for .Net Passport which was the new market-drive name for Microsoft Passport.

Well, yes, if you secured the file with a WLID/Passport, then, yes, it's secured with a WLID/Passport.

Assuming you actually did secure the file somewhere along the way with a WLID/Passport, and you can't remember the password, and have got yourself in a position where their passowrd recovery methods also won't work, then you are probably out of luck.

Did you download account data? Was it account data from financial institutions that required "third party" downloads? If so, then you would have had to use a WLID/Passport. Of course, that would also imply that you weren't actually using M03 since M03 couldn't get data that way. If so, then about the only thing left I can recommend is that you try opening it with a newer version of Money--say MoneyPlus. I'd recommend the M+ Sunset Edition, but, IIRC, it requires a file that has first had the WLID password protection removed and this is exactly what you are in no position to do.

Do you have a way to get back to the system you had before you went off reloading stuff just long enough to get into the file and remove the WLID password security? Didn't think so...

I hate to say it, but it appears you've really painted yourself into a bad corner here. Maybe somebody else will have some good ideas. I'm tapped out.

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:28 PM
  • I have had the password cracked but that doesn't help. Money doesn't recognise the password! The file ends with .mbf.mny is this correct?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Nope! It should be one or the other.

.mbf is a Money backup file and .mny is a Money data file.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:22 AM
  • I share Bob's concern that .mbf.mny is an odd extension. I suppose one could name one's Money data file e.g., "my_data_file.mbf".

Is the "cracked" password one you recall having used?

I also keep getting back to one of my original questions: what makes you so sure that you WERE running M03 before you started down this path?

Also when you installed Win7, how did your data file get on the new system? Was Win7 an in place upgrade? Did you restore the Money file from somewhere somehow? From where? How? I'm searching for some context to how a file could have come to be named myfile.mbf.mny.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:14 AM
  • Have you tried Signing in Offline?

Money saves the last 'successful' sign in within the file.

So, try older passwords that you may have had associated to this Passport ID.

If you can sign in Offline, then since I don't believe you can remove a WLID from a Money 2003 file while signed in Offline, you may want to consider upgrading to Money Plus, convert the file and then remove the WLID.

-Mark

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I also have the same file in .mny extension, but same problem. Cracked password is one of my regulars so no surprise there. Definitely Money 2003, reloaded straight from the original pack. I transferred the money files to an external hard drive, reform,,atted my main drive, loaded windows 7 and then reloaded money. The relevant file was transferred back from my external drive. Good question but no clear reason I can see.

Can't sign in offline, how to do this?

Money itself is OK as is a demo backup I created so problem ls isolated to the old .mny file unfortunately.

How do I upgrade to Money Plus?

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:05 AM
  • ...reloaded straight from the original pack...

Can't sign in offline, how to do this?

How do I upgrade to Money Plus?

MANY users have reload from the original CD but forgetten an upgrade they did somewhere along the way. It doesn't entirely fit your reported symptoms, but you surely wouldn't be the first to THINK your data came from an older version of Money than it really came from.

When you go to login, there is somehow a choice for offered for "oflline" login in certain circumstances. Maybe you have to disconnect from the 'net so that it can't find anything to service the login?

Your best bet in upgrading to Money Plus at this point is to download the "Sunset" edition from downloads.microsoft.com and install it.

If you go that route, and if it opens and upgrades your file, please report back the file extension for the heritage data file it leaves behind.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:19 PM
  • How did you finally crack your .mny password?  Yes, I know it's near the end of '11, but have been signed in offline since WinLiveID would never connect.  NEEEEEED to crack the password to import into Quicken now too. Any help for a password recovery BEFORE WinLiveID would be helpful and appreciated!

Friday, December 30, 2011 12:34 AM