OneCare keeps resetting my Windows Automatic Update settings RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running the 2.0 beta on Vista 32bit, but this also happens on my XP Pro box, and I believe this problem occured when I installed the release product (prior to me trying the beta).  My Automatic Update settings keep getting reset to Install updates automatically (recommended).  This is really upsetting me.  I'm a developer who knows exactly what he does and doesn't want for updates, but OneCare seems to think it knows better.  I can't help but think that this is tied into the fact that OneCare gets upset that I like the setting to be Check for updates but let me chose whether to download and install them.  Whenever I chose this setting OneCare changes to red, meaning it's not happy and thinks something is wrong.  Something is NOT wrong. so stop changing the icon to red.  If this keeps occuring I will eventually uninstall OneCare and go back to the prior release or a competing product.  Too bad, because I otherwise do like OneCare 2.0.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:15 PM

Answers

• This is apparently a change made in version 2.0 that will make a bunch of people even more unhappy than the way it was handled in 1.x.

I've responded to this topic many times that I feel that the way OneCare handles AU is too strong and dumb. It should allow for a user to select download new updates and notify. When new critical updates are presented, OneCare should turn yellow and then turn red after x hours. The simplistic approach used now does address the vast majority of users who are content at ignoring the tray icon for updates, thereby putting the PC at risk that can be mitigated by simply installing the update to patch the security hole.

As it stands now, there is no way for you to disable this feature in 2.0 and in 1.x your status will always be red if you choose any other variation of AU.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:09 PM