OC 2005 client compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Problem:

OC 2007 client can  have IM conversations with any client on any platform on any server with no problem.  Presence works perfectly and it is great.  It talks to OC 2005 clients on both the LCS 2005 server and on the OCS 2007 server.

The problem is with OC 2005 clients that have been moved to the OCS 2007 server IMing to OC 2005 clients homed on LCS 2005 server.  Presence works however when the users IM each other the IM goes to client but they get back an error after a while saying the user is offline however the message reaches its destination.  This only occurs on the OC 2005 clients on the LCS 2005 server.  File Transfer does not work either.

OC 2005 clients homed on OCS 2007 servers can talk to any client homed on the OCS 2007 server.

I am coming to the conclusion that when it says that OC 2005 is compatible with OC 2007 they only mean when they are IM to users on the same release/version and not across releases ie. LCS 2005 to OCS 2007 and vice versa?  Is this a true statement or is it just our environment.

Have any other users experienced this problem with OC 2005 clients.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've had similar issues, but been able to resolve them all. Check out these links for more info:

OCS/LCS presence issue: https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=9

OCS/LCS compatibility matrix: http://blogs.technet.com/jenstr/archive/2007/11/27/migrating-from-lcs-2005-sp1-to-ocs-2007-which-client-can-you-use-when.aspx

In short, I've been able to have the old client / old server users IM with the new client / new server users. That said, I have noticed odd "offline" messages between the two, but never consistenly and never enough to cause concern.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:29 AM
  • Thank you Matt for your response and we actually found this in the Migration manual on page 55 about the 2 ip addresses.  Actually the "offline" messages that the OC 2005 client sees homed on an LCS 2005 server is a bug or a problem which I am looking into with Microsoft.  I have sent them some netmon reports and ran the MSReporter tool on our LCS 2005 server. I will post back in this forum what MS founds out about our problem.  Below is the reference in the Migration manual.

If you have already installed a Director, you have prepared Active Directory as part of this process. If you did not deploy a Director, you must prepare Active Directory as the initial step in deploying an Office Communications Server 2007 Standard Edition server or Enterprise pool. For step-by-step instructions, see the Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Active Directory Guide. If you plan to support a period of coexistence between Live Communications Server 2005 SP1 and Office Communications Server 2007, you must prepare each domain hosting Live Communications Server SP1 servers and users for Office Communications Server 2007.

After the necessary Active Directory objects are in place, you are ready to deploy an Office Communications Server 2007 Standard Edition server or Enterprise Edition pool. For details, see the Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Standard Edition Deployment Guide or the Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise Edition Deployment Guide.

Supporting a Pool with a Single Enterprise Edition Server

If you deploy Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise pool with a single Enterprise Edition server without a load balancer, to support coexistence you must use a separate IP address for the Enterprise server and the Enterprise pool.

Note

If you are using a pool with a single Enterprise Edition Server, you still must use a separate computer for the SQL database. Installing the back-end database on a computer with Enterprise Edition Server installed is not supported.

To do so, the following steps are required:

·         Add a second IP address on the Enterprise Edition server

·         Point the DNS record for the Enterprise pool to the second  IP address

This requirement exists because Live Communications Server 2005 SP1 servers cannot successfully communicate if the Enterprise Edition server and the Enterprise pool have the same IP address.

After your deployment is moved completely to Office Communications Server, you can remove the new IP and use a single IP address for the pool (and the pool’s DNS record) and the Enterprise Edition server.

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:10 PM
  • We had the same issue federating OCS with LCS.  There are a number of hotfixes for LCS that are required for compatibility with OCS.  Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937105/en-us.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Sorry that is not our problem here.  We have already installed Hotfix 937124 on all our clients which incorporates 937105 & 4.   Our clients are at 1.0.559.224.

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Sorry,

I sent you the URL to the wrong hotfix.  The one I am refering to is run on the LCS servers.

Make sure you have installed:

1.      QFE available from http://r.office.microsoft.com/r/rlidOCS?clid=1033&p1=kb911996.

2.      QFE available from http://r.office.microsoft.com/r/rlidOCS?clid=1033&p1=kb921543.

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Sorry James you keep trying to help me, but I already have both of these on my LCS 2005 SP1 server as well.  This isn't the proble either.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Hi Elmerick.

Did you remember to install the KB911996 on the back-end (SQL) server that are hosting RTC and RTCCONFIG DB (for LCS2005) to?

---

Installation:

- Run the following command: LCS2005-KB911996-x86-Usa.msi POOLNAME=poolname).

- Make sure that you use the same installation package for the front-end servers and the back-end servers...

---

/HeWa

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:57 PM
  • I know that KB911996 was installed on the LCS server because I can see it in Add/Remove programs.  But I do not if I ran the LCS2005-KB911996-x86-Usa.msi POOLNAME=poolname). on local SQL database or not.  Is there a way to tell.  If you just run the LCS2005-KB911996-x86-ENU.msi does it automaticaly install and run the above command for the SQL part or not, I assumed it did.  I know do not assume

Rereading the instructions, since this is a Standard Edition server with the local SQL database, I did not have to run the above command ( LCS2005-KB911996-x86-Usa.msi POOLNAME=poolname) separately and therefore this is installed already. 

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:29 PM
  • That should be ok, then.

My description was for an [OCS 2007 ent. Expanded Configuration]...

/HeWa

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Were you able to resolve the issue of OC 2005 on LCS 2005 getting offline messages communicating with OC 2005 on OCS 2007?  We are getting the same messages.  Did Microsoft come back with anything?

Thanks,

H Patel

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:38 PM
  • No, Microsoft never did resolve this issue.  We basically dropped the issue because we will not be in this environment with some OC 2005 users on LCS and some on OCS.    We will move all the users all over to OCS at once and therefore we will not have the issue.  As far as I know this is a real problem with having OC2005 clients not seeing communicating when split between the two releases.  It only affect the OC 2005 clients on LCS 2005 talking to an OC 2005 on an OCS 2007 server.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:46 PM
  • We have a case open with Microsoft for this issue. It is a bug. Once it is fully debugged, then it will be sent to development for a fix.

Regards,

HKP11

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Can you send me or post on the forum your case number for this bug?  Does Microsoft have a hotfix number for it yet?

Thanks for pursuing this further.   

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft was not able to provide any fixes/updates to the LCS 2005 server/OC 2005 client for this issue.  Their recommendation is to use TLS for phased migration or do a bulk migration of user accounts from LCS 2005 to OCS 2007.

hkp11

Monday, June 9, 2008 6:47 PM