CRM 4.0 - Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2007 RRS feed

  • Question

  • We just upgraded to MSCRM 4.0 operating in conjunction with an Exchange 2007 Server and Office 2007. When we install CRM for Outlook on a client machine (Vista OS), the Outlook client continuosly stops and restarts, indicating a lost connection with the Exchange Server. The CRM web interface works fine, as does the Outlook 2007 client before the install and after we uninstalled CRM for Outlook.

    Monday, February 18, 2008 7:12 PM


All replies


    Dear John Lalley.


    Well first of all u need to make sure that all the required prerequisites for Outlook Client are installed properly. Secondly make sure that the CRM URL u give during installation must be correct. So that it can make a connection to that Instance. before installing the Outlook must be restarted and Close. 


    try it and tell me.


    Take cares



    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:21 AM
  • It appears to be some kind of authentication issue. Outlook stops and restarts every five minutes. CRM via a browser works fine.


    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:40 PM
  • This looks to be a VISTA permissions issue. MSCRM Outlook Client works fine on our terminal server, which is running Windows 2003.


    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Anyone solve this problem? We are experiencing the exact same behavior with Live 4.0 EAII, Exchange and Vista? Once the Outlook client is uninstalled, Outlook runs fine.



    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:18 PM
  • I think I have narrowed the problem down to CRM-Outlook Syncronization. It only happens on the sync version of Outlook..i.e. I have two version runing, one on my desktop and one on our terminal server and only the primary sync version had problems. I am goign to try to turn off all syncronization tomorrow and see what happens.


    Oh, and the error notes tell me an update to Office 2007 SP1 will fix it, but I cannot get it to run properly on Vista. Thanks Microsoft for thoroughly testing the interaction of your apps.


    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:43 AM
  • Check this










    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:27 AM
  • Did anyone resolve this?


    I'm having the same error.  We have clients running both the 2003 and 2007 versions of Outlook.  It is not a Vista issue as well.  We have clients running XP SP 2 and Vista alike.


    I already ran the SQL referred to in the last post for another error.  Which was great... but it didn't fix this new problem for me. 


    Ran the 4.0 diagnostics and here is what I received:

      <Title>Verifying Web access.</Title>
      <Details>Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.Diagnostics.DiagnosticCheckException: The Web address (URL) specified for the installation (http://<servername>:5555/<companyname>) is not responding. Diagnostic tests that require connectivity will not be run. Verify the specified Web service address and check for connectivity. If necessary, rerun the CRM Configuration Wizard. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(Uri address) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(String address) at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.Diagnostics.ApplicationEndpointDiagnosticCheck.Execute(BackgroundWorker backgroundWorker) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.Diagnostics.ApplicationEndpointDiagnosticCheck.Execute(BackgroundWorker backgroundWorker) at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.Diagnostics.DiagnosticCheck.DeepExecute(BackgroundWorker backgroundWorker)</Details>





    Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:53 AM
  • John,


    I had the same problem and finally got an answer on another thread.    See below.


    Was able to solve the issue.  Go to IIS > Microsoft Dynamics CRM > _imgs.  
    Right-click the _imgs folder and click Properties > Directory Security.  
    Under Authenticate and access control click Edit and ensure Enable anonymous
    access is checked.  Previously with 3.0 this was not checked, but it needs to
    be checked for 4.0.

    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Seth. Unfortunately, mine was already checked. I am sure it is a security setting like this somewhere in the bowles of MSCRM or SQL Server.


    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:32 PM
  • I am having the same issue. Everytime Outlook 2007 attempts to sync to MSCRM, it crashes and restarts.  Turning off sync stops the problem. I have seen this on three different XP machines, as well as a Vista box.


    I checked IIS, and the directory security for _imgs is already set to anonymous.


    Next, I'll update to Office 2007 SP1 and see what happens...


    Monday, April 21, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Fixed it!


    There is a date bug in CRM.


    If any of your contacts have birthdays set to prior to 1/1/1970, remove them or change them to after that date.


    Presto... problem solved.


    Still waiting on a fix from MS!!!!


    Monday, April 21, 2008 4:10 PM
  • You got it. I had a whole slew of contacts with artificial 1/1/1900 birthdays, proabably from an older sync with Goldmine or whatever. As soon as I corrected them, the system worked. Thanks, how did you figure that one out?


    Monday, April 21, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Me too! Thanks.  We don't track birthdates so I had not even checked it. I went in and ran an a query and sure enough one record had a birthdate and it was before 1970. Cleared it and all is good.

    P.S. the record with the b-date was mine

    Friday, May 2, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Glad it worked. Now I need to figure out how to delete all of the birthdays in my database. A previous CRM loaded incorrect birthday in all of my contacts. I know how to change it, but not how to erase them all at once.


    Friday, May 2, 2008 7:09 PM
  • There's a Microsoft KB article:



    They have produced a hotfix for this problem, which I have not yet tried.



    Friday, May 2, 2008 8:19 PM