none
[SQL Server 2012 Certification] Is certificate awarded after each exam? RRS feed

• Question

• I read SQL Server certification details. I want to take 2012 certification. I don't think the study material for the same is available in the market as SQL Server 2012 is new.

The MCTS certification for SQL Server 2008 comprises of four papers. I want to know whether I certificate of MCP is awarded if I clear at least one paper? Which certificate I get if I clear 2 or 3 papers out of 4?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:41 PM

Answers

• For SQL Server 2008, there are three MCTS exams (on Administration, Development, and Business Intelligence). All three are completely independent of each other, and each one will give you a certification, regardless of whether you have passed the others. [70-432, 70-433, 70-448].

There are also three "PRO" exams (on the same specialties as the MCTSs). Once again, they are independent of each other, but they do require you to pass the corresponding MCTS for each PRO exam before they will give you the MCITP certification. [70-450, 70-451, 70-452].

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:14 PM
  • MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-432

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:20 AM

All replies

• For SQL Server 2008, there are three MCTS exams (on Administration, Development, and Business Intelligence). All three are completely independent of each other, and each one will give you a certification, regardless of whether you have passed the others. [70-432, 70-433, 70-448].

There are also three "PRO" exams (on the same specialties as the MCTSs). Once again, they are independent of each other, but they do require you to pass the corresponding MCTS for each PRO exam before they will give you the MCITP certification. [70-450, 70-451, 70-452].

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:14 PM
  • In addition to what Alberto has said, please review certification details here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab3

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:27 PM
  • After clearing 70-432, which certificate I will get?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:37 AM
  • MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-432

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:20 AM
  • As a matter of fact you will not be awarded an MCTS after each Exam. SQL Server 2012 Certifications are using the new MCSA/MCSE scheme. You will earn the following Certificates:

After taking 70-461, 70-462 and 70-463 you will earn the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 Certification.

If you take 70-464 and 70-465 on top of the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 you will earn the MCSE: Data Platform Certification. If you take 70-466 and 70-467 on top of the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 you will earn the MCSE: Business Intelligence Certification.

More Info:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:59 AM
  • As a matter of fact you will not be awarded an MCTS after each Exam. SQL Server 2012 Certifications are using the new MCSA/MCSE scheme. You will earn the following Certificates:

After taking 70-461, 70-462 and 70-463 you will earn the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 Certification.

If you take 70-464 and 70-465 on top of the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 you will earn the MCSE: Data Platform Certification. If you take 70-466 and 70-467 on top of the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 you will earn the MCSE: Business Intelligence Certification.

More Info:

The OP isn't talking about SQL Server 2012, they're talking about SQL Server 2008 so the information provided is correct.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:07 AM

More Info:

The OP isn't talking about SQL Server 2012, they're talking about SQL Server 2008 so the information provided is correct.

Jeff Wharton

Look at the topic title and the content of his post again:

Quote:

[SQL Server 2012 Certification] Is certificate awarded after each exam?

I read SQL Server certification details. I want to take 2012 certification.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:27 AM
  • My mistake

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:28 AM
  • I didn't mean MCTS certification after each paper. I mean whether MCP is awarded or not.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:28 AM
  • I didn't mean MCTS certification after each paper. I mean whether MCP is awarded or not.

*Every* MCTS is always a MCP.

The questiion would be significant if taking an exam that did not award a MCTS. For instance, back at the time when you needed 70-536 plus 70-562 to become a MCTS on ASP.NET applications, if I recall correctly, passing 70-562 did give you the MCP, while 70-536 did not. Of course, by the time you became an MCTS you had passed *both* exams, so you always were an MCP when you became MCTS. The question is moot for those exams that make you a MCTS by passing a single exam, such as the ones that we discussed above for SQL 2008. After you pass the first exam, you will be a MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional).

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:34 PM
  • My question is similer to Alberto. I recently passed 70-462. Would I be able to get seprate certification for MCP?

Manu ------- Please click the Mark as Answer if my post solves your issue.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:23 PM