TCP Chimney Offload Supported? RRS feed

• Question

• Does WHS support TCP Chimney Offload?  I know Server 2003 provides support after the Scalable Networking Pack release. 

I have a spare Broadcom NetXtreme II which supports TCP Offload Engine (TOE) so I might as well put it to use.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:34 PM hardware/configuration question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:07 AM

Answers

• It's not the server, which is the important component, but solely the network card, the driver and the router/switch, which need to support this feature.
    We have also seen people reporting issues with WHS connectivity in the LAN until disabling some of the special network features, i.e. Jumbo Frames.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Technically, no. The only way to configure advanced networking parameters is to log in to the server directly, which is unsupported. That said, it will probably work fine. I don't have a NIC which supports this that I could test with, so all I can tell you is give it a try, understanding that you could have problems afterward if it turns out that something in Windows Home Server is sensitive to the Windows TCP/IP stack.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:34 PM

All replies

• It's not the server, which is the important component, but solely the network card, the driver and the router/switch, which need to support this feature.
    We have also seen people reporting issues with WHS connectivity in the LAN until disabling some of the special network features, i.e. Jumbo Frames.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:25 AM
  • The drivers require the OS to support the feature or the license will not unlock the offload feature since it is bypassing the OS implementation of the TCP/IP stack.

I do not believe the router/switch matter for TOE support.

So... does WHS (based on Server 2003) support TOE?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Technically, no. The only way to configure advanced networking parameters is to log in to the server directly, which is unsupported. That said, it will probably work fine. I don't have a NIC which supports this that I could test with, so all I can tell you is give it a try, understanding that you could have problems afterward if it turns out that something in Windows Home Server is sensitive to the Windows TCP/IP stack.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:34 PM