Office 2000 vs. Office 2007 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I am a new hire for a chemical company and I just received my new laptop. On it, they have installed Office 2000 but the rest of the existing Reps in the area has Office 2007. I have requested that my lapyop be updated with Office 2007 but they are challenging me as to why I need it. Can you give me some suggestions as to the big difference between the two and and why wouldn't the compatibilty pack not meet my needs? My boss has also turned it into a training tool for me to try and sell this to the IT team but I am no "IT Guru". Thanks.
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:56 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:30 PM Off topic. (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:13 PM

All replies

• You will most likely get a better answer if you ask here - http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I'll just throw out the most obvious reason, which any IT professional should know:

Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search
    office 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=office+2000&Filter=FilterNO

On that page you will find that the Extended Support Retired date for all of the Office 2000 versions was 7/14/2009.  This means that even Critical Security updates will no longer be available for Office 2000 in the future, and no significant product updates have been available since the Mainstream Support Retired date of 6/30/2004.

Any IT Support person or contracted organization who provided Microsoft products and didn't know how to determine this would be immediately suspect in my book.  This is basic support 101 for those purporting to provide and support Microsoft products.

Rob
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:39 PM