none
About "7-Day" Answer Rate Rule and Marking Answers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all:

Somehow I knew from a Microsoft employee that a thread within 7days without a reply from OP would be marked as an answer to some answers. I don't think that good to OP. Because the marking should be decided by OP instead of by Microsoft employee as moderators or someone else. And many many clients are making complains about this issue. So I think:

1) A moderator should manage the forum by unmarking others' answers if someone thinks they don't fit them or not answer the question well. But anyone CANNOT mark himself as answers unless the question is asked by himself. Moderators can mark others' good replies as answers.

2) An answerer isn't a moderator, I think you can learn from www.asp.net, where Microsoft employees are only answerers instead of moderators.

3) What's more, please cancel 7 day answer rate; please let clients reply or mark answers; If a thread is overdue more than 7days or longer, it should automatically send a reply to OP to tell him that you should mark answers or just feedback more. If no reply again, the next day the thread should be automatically closed (NOT LETTING OTHERS REPLY) and it "notify" OP that he should re-open or just new a thread.

4) Hope the "7-day" answer rate rule can be cancelled because we cannot decide what the questioner thinks about, that's just improving the answer rate (maybe not very accurate). So I suggest Microsoft can create a new state of thread (if after 7days, the thread can be closed automatically until the OP comes back and re-open to do what he wants).

Click For donating:Free Rice For the poor
    For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.
    For more things to talk about? StackOverFlow is your choice.

• Edited by ThankfulHeart Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:14 AM Modify
    Monday, October 14, 2013 6:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• I disagree with this. I've very rarely seen an OP complain about a moderator marking an answer, as they generally just get their answer and never come back. The majority of people I ever see complain think their answer is better and they just want points for it.

I can't tell you how many times I've supplied an answer to an OP and had the OP say that whatever script I wrote for them or whatever fixed their problem and did not mark any answers. Do you really want those threads to stay unanswered forever? I don't care about the points (I think we should get rid of them entirely, that will make the point grubbers just leave), but the thread status should be changed to show any future person who has the same question that this thread might be worth their time to look at.

I can understand being upset at some of the answers that are marked by mods. In my estimation, all you have to do to fix that issue is post in the thread with an actual answer. Maybe you'll never get points for it, but you'll have supplied a correct answer. If that's what the point is, then I don't see the problem.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,110+ strong and growing)

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:19 PM
  • I have seen many threads where the OP replied that their question was answered, but they never marked the answer. Sometimes they even mark the reply as "Helpful". Here is a recent example where the problem was solved (per the last reply), but no reply has been marked as the answer:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a119569-af65-4fe8-bb5e-3f32c26926bb/unable-to-post-to-msdn-forums?forum=reportabug

There are even more threads where the OP never seems to get back, yet people put in considerable effort providing a solution. The preferred situation is always to have the OP mark the answer, since they know best. The person providing the answer also gets more points if the OP marks. However, I always appreciate it when a moderator eventually marks my reply as an answer if the OP never returns. And, the OP can always return and unmark any answers if they disagree. No moderator should ever be offended by this.

Here is a recent example of a thread in this forum where the question was answered (by you), but it has been 7 days since with no reply and nothing marked as the answer:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/48b168e9-bcd4-4873-b299-7a45a1c6f33c/account-verification?forum=reportabug

I intend to mark your reply as the answer (later today), even though you will get fewer points. I feel you should get some credit. In some forums with lots of activity, it requires a lot of effort for moderators to wait 7 days, then track down old posts to mark answers. Making the process more difficult will discourage moderators.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:52 PM
  • 1 I do unmark answers when I see posts that should not be answers (e.g. reply asking clarification). But that's only in forums I moderate. 

2 I believe  moving from moderator to answerer does not remove the right to mark posts as answers.

3 sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure if the server can handle the pressure. There were lots of performance problems with alerts, and adding more background work may not be a high priority now.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:21 PM
  • >>I disagree with this. I've very rarely seen an OP complain about a moderator marking an answer.

Here're a lot of things about that, and this problem seems lasting for ages....

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/82c59ad9-2db9-48f3-873e-d02a17bdcf2c/selfmarked-answers-please-stop?forum=suggest

For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:20 AM
  • If your complaint is only about CSG staff members marking their own posts as answers (when they don't actually answer the question that is), that's fine.

I still disagree with the statement that moderators shouldn't mark answers that are clearly answers.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,110+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:44 AM
  • >>I still disagree with the statement that moderators shouldn't mark answers that are clearly answers.

No. Moderators can mark answers but to be fair, I don't think it good to mark themselves. Please see my first post;)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for confirmation Mike;)

However according to Microsoft's rule, it seems that within 7 days a thread should be closed by marking answers, this may be a very narrow way to mean the thread is closed. So what I mean is MSDN can create a special state that a thread within replies in XX days should be automatically closed until the OP comes back and re-open;)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:01 AM
  • I am in agreement with Mike and Richard's point of view on this aspect. This topic has been discussed number of times on this forum.

I am not going to write about the things which have been already discussed so far... Please have look at similar threads

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/16031e0c-517d-40fc-8d26-1981edb7b116/moderators-marking-their-replies-as-answers?forum=suggest

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/109efd76-077c-4f8f-abca-e20d17530fc3/how-to-stop-having-moderators-mark-questions-as-answered?forum=whatforum 

It's not a wise decision to blame every moderator on the forums just because few handful of Moderators (may be few MSFT CSG's) mark their own answers or mark an incorrect answer.

If at all, there are specific cases, that can be reported to forum owners and then the issue will be taken care of.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Haha……I'm not blaming them but just wanna a good choice to cancel "7-day marking", because this will make moderators or MSFT very nervous to mark answers and maybe they cannot see clearly about the answers to make mistakes;)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:06 AM
  • just wanna a good choice to cancel "7-day marking"

7 days are reasonable ! IMO :-)

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:11 AM
  • I agree with Richard. I think that the moderators may and should mark correct answers in case OP abandons the thread.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for confirmation Mike;)

However according to Microsoft's rule, it seems that within 7 days a thread should be closed by marking answers, this may be a very narrow way to mean the thread is closed. So what I mean is MSDN can create a special state that a thread within replies in XX days should be automatically closed until the OP comes back and re-open;)

First you need to propose an answer. That way the OP can come check out the answer you proposed.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Maybe this shouldn't be a question. Because the answer is "By Design". You can change it to a Discussion type if you want.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Ed's point is a good one. The procedure is first for a reply to be proposed as an answer. This should give the OP warning that somone feels the question was answered. If after 7 more days the OP has not replied, then a moderator should mark the answer (assuming they agree with whomever proposed the answer). Anything to make this more complicated is not productive.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, October 18, 2013 6:19 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 3:58 PM