How to transfer files to WHS Shared Docs Folders ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all

Just loaded WHS (120 day trial) and it seems to be working fine.

I have a question however?

I would like to know how to transfer my files I'd like to share to the relevant Shared Folders on the WHS Server

eg Photos jpg files on my computer to the Photos folder on WHS & 

Music mp3 files on my computer to Music Folder on WHS

I've tried both copy and move function on my computer to the shared folders WHS console but it won't allow me.

I know my WHS setup works because I've been able to succesfully back up from 4 computers "Clients" to the WHS Server.

So what am I doing wrong?

TD4

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:49 PM

Answers

• What exactly do you mean when you say "it wont allow me"?

Have you created a user account on the WHS server and given it permissions to those folders?

You should then just be able to double click on the Shared Folders icon on your desktop, then double click on the relevant folder and copy the files there

Andrew

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:54 PM

All replies

•  TD4 wrote:
    Hi all

Just loaded WHS (120 day trial) and it seems to be working fine.

I have a question however?

I would like to know how to transfer my files I'd like to share to the relevant Shared Folders on the WHS Server

eg Photos jpg files on my computer to the Photos folder on WHS & 

Music mp3 files on my computer to Music Folder on WHS

I've tried both copy and move function on my computer to the shared folders WHS console but it won't allow me.

I know my WHS setup works because I've been able to succesfully back up from 4 computers "Clients" to the WHS Server.

So what am I doing wrong?

TD4

I'm guessing you're getting an Access Denied error.  If so, that's probably because you didn't create a user in the WHS console yet.  You need to create a user (preferably one with the same username and password as what you use to login to the client PC).  Then you just access the share the same way as any other share.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:53 PM
  • What exactly do you mean when you say "it wont allow me"?

Have you created a user account on the WHS server and given it permissions to those folders?

You should then just be able to double click on the Shared Folders icon on your desktop, then double click on the relevant folder and copy the files there

Andrew

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Further to Andrew's comment, when you say

I've tried both copy and move function on my computer to the shared folders WHS console
    the only time you need to do into the console is to do Admin functions, not to do file maintenance - that's what the desktop shortcut is for.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 5:19 PM
  • To all

Problem solved.

I missed the Shared Desktop Shortcut on the Client Desktop.

Thank you for your help

TD4

Sunday, December 9, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Also don't forget about the new SyncToy 2.0 Beta that allows you to synchronize folders on your clients and the WHS. I use it to sync our large (about 11 Gig) digital photo archive on my wife's XP Pro desktop My Pictures folder with a publicly accessible copy of the archive resident on our WHS.

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2007/11/28/synctoy-2-0-beta-i-sync-therefore-i-am.aspx

Sunday, December 9, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Al

Thank you for pointing out Sync toy.

TD4

Sunday, December 9, 2007 8:59 PM