none
System Restore Without CD

Question

• I purchased my computer secondhand from a small liquidator about three years ago.  I don't recall the name of the store other than Liquidator but they ceased operating about a year and a half ago.  Back then, I was upgrading from my first computer - a Windows 95 - and didn't know anything about operating systems. 

The new “used” computer was absence of packaging, a manual, or any CD's.  I've recently discovered that this computer came with a Windows XP Professional Edition (although the Product Key states Home Edition) and therefore does not qualify for the no-charge basic technical support from Microsoft).

Shortly thereafter, WGA messages began popping up and I subsequently lost the ability to access some applications and programs, namely, Windows Media. I've gone through the process of attempting to validate my product key, but without the operating system CD I am nervous about going ahead with the remedy.  Is there a risk of losing everything on my computer without an operating system CD?

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Jane,

I appreciate the quick response, we have checked out the key that is provided on your Compaq for Windows XP Home and it does appear to be valid and genuine.  At this point I would recommend contacting HP (previously Compaq) directly on how to obtain a replacement restore cd for your computer at http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1 or 800-474-6836.  They should be able to provide you with information on costs and how to order this restore CD which should be cheaper than purchasing a new copy of Windows.  Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Thank you,

Matt Prall

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Hello Jane,

We are glad to assist you :-). Maybe I can provide some assistance regarding your question. Currently the software installed on your system is not genuine. It isn't a matter of reversing messaging. There are many scenerios how the software could have been installed but you will never know because it was purchased at an auction. The best option is definetely installing a genuine version of Windows. Unfortunately you do not know any of the prior history of the machine.  Here is an example should the software have been downloaded from a P2P file sharing site, or a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM problems occur.  These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now.   Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else. So maybe this will offer insight as why the best option is procuring the original software installed from HP as Matt recommended. The other option is you may purchase the WGA Kit from Microsoft. This is a full retail copy of Windows. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:18 PM

All replies

• Jane F.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Since you wrote that the computer has a Product Key for XP Home Edition, I think it's safe to assume (and please verify for us) that the computer may be a name brand computer that originally came with XP Home installed.  If so, to "Get Genuine" might be as simple as acquiring the Recovery CDs, backing up your data, and then using the Recovery CDs to put back the Genuine installation of XP Home the computer came with.

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Dan:

Step 1:  The Diagnostic Report you asked for is pasted below in blue.

Step 2:  I ran the diagnostic for the COA.  I matched with the Blue COA.  The right quarter inch has a silvery hologram with GENUINE on it.  The left quarter inch alternates between white and light blue and has Microsoft written on it.  Below the word, Microsoft, it reads, Certificate of Authenticity. 

The top of the COA reads:  Windows XP Home Edition, with COMPAQ written in black letters directly below that.  The words, GENUINE and MICROSOFT appear diagonally throughout the COA label as holograms.  The product key is written across the middle of the COA label against a white background.  The COA label has a light-medium blue 1/4 inch border at the top and a 1/8 inch border at the bottom, with a silver 1/4 inch border on the right and a white 1/4 inch border on the left.  The body of the label containing the product key, as I mentioned, is white.

Also, Dan, you wrote: 

"Since you wrote that the computer has a Product Key for XP Home Edition, I think it's safe to assume (and please verify for us) that the computer may be a name brand computer that originally came with XP Home installed.  If so, to "Get Genuine" might be as simple as acquiring the Recovery CDs, backing up your data, and then using the Recovery CDs to put back the Genuine installation of XP Home the computer came with."

A couple of questions:  My computer has some Professional Edition functions as well as when entering the 20 digit number (when previously prompted during running a validation process a few months ago), the message I got was, This number is not for a Home Edition.  When I entered, Professional Edition, the computer allowed me to proceed to the next step.  How can I determine which edition I have?

Secondly, backing up my data is fairly straight-forward but how would I acquire the Recovery CD's? 

Thanks for your help.  It is appreciated.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23990
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {020FFA8D-6CCC-49F8-93A6-17DBDC2A3C8F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{020FFA8D-6CCC-49F8-93A6-17DBDC2A3C8F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23990</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-2049760794-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>DSDT</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686P9 v1.03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011018000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7AA73407018400CE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sincerely,

Jane

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Hello Jane,

It appears that the MGA diagnostic results were edited, without the full unedited version we will be unable to parse the data to help troubleshoot your issues.  However from the limited data I do have it appears your computer does in fact have Windows XP Pro installed with a blocked VLK as you can see here: Validation Status: Blocked VLK. Can you please confirm if this computer you purchased is a Compaq? 

However before we proceed with obtaining a new recovery CD for Windows XP Home I would like to confirm the genuine status of this license, could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include your product key for (Office or Windows) so we may analyze specifics surrounding the problems you are encountering. Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after the changes you made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Matt Prall, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thank you for your reply.  My computer is a Compaq Presario 5000. 

Initially, I edited the Product Key Code cited in the Diagnostic Test because I was asked not to reveal the Product Key Code.  Consequently, when I first provided you with the Test, I did manually removed the last 15 alpha-numeric digits of the Product Key Code and replaced them with asterisks.  In submitting the Service Request with Microsoft Product Support as per your request, I provided them with a full copy of the Diagnostic Test in its original format without making alterations to the Product Key Code.  The Service Request number is:  1055718865. 

I also provided them with my Product Key Code.

As well, I have included below an unedited copy of the Diagnostic Test for your information.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Jane

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23990
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {020FFA8D-6CCC-49F8-93A6-17DBDC2A3C8F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{020FFA8D-6CCC-49F8-93A6-17DBDC2A3C8F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23990</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-2049760794-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>DSDT</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686P9 v1.03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011018000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7AA73407018400CE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hello Jane,

I appreciate the quick response, we have checked out the key that is provided on your Compaq for Windows XP Home and it does appear to be valid and genuine.  At this point I would recommend contacting HP (previously Compaq) directly on how to obtain a replacement restore cd for your computer at http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1 or 800-474-6836.  They should be able to provide you with information on costs and how to order this restore CD which should be cheaper than purchasing a new copy of Windows.  Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Thank you,

Matt Prall

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Matt Prall, MS

So far, that's a positive outcome.  I will pursue your suggestion for a replacement restore cd with HP.  Thank you very much for all your assistance and helpful information.  They are greatly appreciated!!!

Out of curiousity, is there a reason why Microsoft cannot remove the Genuine warning messages and reverse the measures they took to alter my computer's functionality?

Sincerely,

Jane

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Hello Jane,

We are glad to assist you :-). Maybe I can provide some assistance regarding your question. Currently the software installed on your system is not genuine. It isn't a matter of reversing messaging. There are many scenerios how the software could have been installed but you will never know because it was purchased at an auction. The best option is definetely installing a genuine version of Windows. Unfortunately you do not know any of the prior history of the machine.  Here is an example should the software have been downloaded from a P2P file sharing site, or a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM problems occur.  These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now.   Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else. So maybe this will offer insight as why the best option is procuring the original software installed from HP as Matt recommended. The other option is you may purchase the WGA Kit from Microsoft. This is a full retail copy of Windows. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Stephen Holm, MS

Thank you for your thorough and enlightening response - definitely, points well taken.  Again, thank you for all your assistance.  It is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jane

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:56 AM