Remote Access and protection RRS feed

• Question

• Now that I am converted to WHS2011 from WHS, what anti-virus to I use. For me, primarily, WHS2011 is a back-up device.

(Nicer interface. Maps better for household to see Libraries->Documents, etc.  Better install experience. DE was nice. I will miss that.)

I don't plan to put it on WWW through remote web access. Why would I do this? Is there a great advantage that I'm missing if my primary goal is household back-ups?

Also, considering it is behind the router firewall, do I need an antivirus/malware protection? If so, what can I use?

TIA,

P.G.W.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:16 PM

Answers

• Try searching this forum for the answer to this question - there is no supported AV solution but look at the G Data thread for the latest false dawn.

Personally I have never used AV software on either WHS1 or 2011 - it only ever connects to Microsoft Update and all the clients that connect are themselves running AV s/w.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:46 PM

All replies

• Try searching this forum for the answer to this question - there is no supported AV solution but look at the G Data thread for the latest false dawn.

Personally I have never used AV software on either WHS1 or 2011 - it only ever connects to Microsoft Update and all the clients that connect are themselves running AV s/w.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Right. I did start with searching the forum. Failing to find much discussion on the topic, I asked the question.

But yeah, the lack of content is due to the lack of a supported AV solution. Thansk for the insight.

TIA, P.G.W.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Regarding your WWW remote access: If you do not forward ports 80 and 443 to your home server nobody can access your WHS outside your LAN.

I am still troubleshouting with G Data and trying to get their A/V solution to work, if you should even protect a server with A/V software it is a file server serving shared writable folders.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:02 PM