none
Windows 10, anyone? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone tried MSMoney with Windows 10 yet?
    Monday, June 1, 2015 10:57 AM

All replies

• by which I mean Money 2005 UK version - sorry should have mentioned that
    Monday, June 1, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Yes. Works on 32 and 64 bit Windows 10 previews (including the latest preview build 10130).
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Thursday, June 4, 2015 3:23 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 11:08 AM
  • Most reassuring - thanks!
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:33 PM
  • Working fine here on Win 10 build 10130 x64.
    • Edited by DooGie Saturday, June 13, 2015 7:07 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 7:06 PM
  • It used to work with Windows 10, but with the latest version released today (16th July 2015), it now fails to load. It is looking for Internet Explorer version 6 and fails as it cannot load it. I assume this is because Microsoft have chosen to replace IE with their new browser. If anyone knows of a solution, I would love to know
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 10:37 AM
  • It used to work with Windows 10, but with the latest version released today (16th July 2015), it now fails to load. It is looking for Internet Explorer version 6 and fails as it cannot load it. I assume this is because Microsoft have chosen to replace IE with their new browser. If anyone knows of a solution, I would love to know
    Same here - another UK Money user
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:40 AM
  • Same problem
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Yes, Money stopped working after latest version of Windows 10 (10240 - July 16, 2015) was installed. Microsoft has included both IE11 and new browser Edge with the build. However whatever components Money is looking for have been removed. Has anyone tried reinstalling Money?

Update: Tried reinstalling Money however the problem remains. I am reporting it in Insider Forums.

• Edited by RajanDixit Friday, July 17, 2015 1:24 AM Update
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Tried re-installing MS Money (USMoneyDlxSunset) but have the same issue. 
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:19 PM
  • I assume you have raised this on the Insider forums and it's been reported to Microsoft.  Let us know if there have been any replies.
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:38 PM
  • Same happening to me with build 10240 - looking for IE6 and quits.  :(
    Friday, July 17, 2015 12:49 AM
  • Hello, i'm french user of Money 2005 and i have the same problem !!!
    Friday, July 17, 2015 1:54 PM
  • MS Money (MoneyDlxSunset) has worked with following registry change.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    "Version"="9.11.10240.0"  (originaly: 9.11.10240.16384)

I'm not sure about side effect by this change. registry change is at own risk.

• Proposed as answer by im-mad Monday, July 20, 2015 7:31 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 3:44 PM

Working for me so far
    • Proposed as answer by djfd Monday, July 20, 2015 3:45 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Working here too
    Saturday, July 18, 2015 8:22 AM
  • MS Money (MoneyDlxSunset) un Travaillé Avec la modification suivante de registre.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer] 
    "Version" = "9.11.10240.0" (à l'origine: 9.11.10240.16384)

Cela rétablit Parfaitement le Fonctionnement de Microsoft Money 2005 avec Windows 10.

• Edited by djfd Monday, July 20, 2015 3:48 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Only partly re-assuring I fear, if very well done by those who found this work around (for which thanks). One wonders if unexpected effects may occur elsewhere... Personally, I shall upgrade my laptop and make sure MSMoney and everything else works fine before upgrading the desktop. Not sure I know enough about running a VM to go that route.

Of all the other progs I have looked at AceMoney seems to have most of MSMoney's abilities but would take some getting used to.

I'm thinking it's a bit late in the process (i.e. one week to go) for Microsoft to be fiddling....

AS

• Proposed as answer by CamMcG Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CamMcG Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Thanks very much for the assist. I did this and voila, MS Money works. :)
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:18 AM
  • This is why I love the Internet. Well done and thanks.

I'll feel more comfortable when the real public version becomes available and this fix is hopefully not needed. After all the original registry key was made that value for a reason. And hopefully this fix will still work in further updated versions of Windows 10

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:15 PM
  • I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and MS Money no longer works!!!

HELP!!!

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:57 PM
  • You posted to this thread.  Now, if you read it, you will see how to fix your problem.

Bill Becker

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:16 PM
  • It works!
    Friday, July 31, 2015 4:03 AM
  • The 'Get Windows 10' logo, when activated, says my PC is compatible with W10, and there are 0 problem apps. This is a message from Microsoft. Well, now we know this is not true - MSMoney will not work without a modification. An interesting question of liability!
    Friday, July 31, 2015 8:53 AM
  • Applied the registry hack yesterday and worked

today, MS MONEY fails to load

looks like I'm reverting back to W7

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Registry hack not working for me on either MS Money 2005 nor Sunset Edition.. still looking for IE6!

Any other offers.. got the final edition of Win10.

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:04 AM
  • The registry hack only partially works. If you try to do an import from your bank / institution it will crash.....

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:45 AM
  • You posted to this thread.  Now, if you read it, you will see how to fix your problem.

Bill Becker

The registry hack is only a partial fix. Cannot import files from banks etc...otherwise it crashes
    Friday, July 31, 2015 10:47 AM
  • I'm having the same trouble, looking for explorer version 6 and fails to load.  hope something, or someone will fix this, as many years of records are at stake.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 11:41 AM
  • Have you also applied the fix described in this post:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Friday, July 31, 2015 12:21 PM

This worked for me instantly. Again not sure about the side effects, but so far so Good. Perhaps I will start looking for a newer program. Any suggestions?
    Friday, July 31, 2015 2:40 PM
  • That DLL is for a later version of Money I think...
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Doesn't work for me... This could be a showstopper as others have said.  None of the apps I've tried seem any good in comparison to either MS Money or Quicken as was... 
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Quite liked win 10 but without MS Money working its no good for me

now rolling back to windows 7 as registry fix didnt work

EDIT:- Finally got it working by unticking the compatibilty option under program properties and applying the registry fix

• Edited by csiman Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:38 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 11:02 AM
  • What doesn't work for you.  The registry change?  The dll substitution?  What version of Money are you running?

Bill Becker

Saturday, August 1, 2015 1:21 PM
  • Tried the registry change but couldn't the "version" wasn't 9.11.10240.16384. Could be because I have an older version of Money - 2001?
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Same happening to me with Win10 official release - looking for IE6 and quits.  :(((

Waiting for some fix.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Still no good with me, tried all the fixes etc. but it still won't allow me to create new payees (which is essentially breaking the software). I've used Money for about 7 years and before that, my father used it for years and years. 

I've tried alternatives and tried with Excel but nothing is the same as Money. I am falling in love with Windows 10, so I really don't want to have to compromise and go back to 8.1.

Come on Microsoft, sort it out! 

Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Microsoft corporate does not follow or respond to questions or complaints in this forum.  This forum is run by volunteers who are willing to help if you clearly state your problem and exactly what you have done to try and fix it.  What version of Money are you running?  Can you confirm that you tried the mnyob99.dll replacement as described in:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Microsoft corporate does not follow or respond to questions or complaints in this forum.  This forum is run by volunteers who are willing to help if you clearly state your problem and exactly what you have done to try and fix it.  What version of Money are you running?  Can you confirm that you tried the mnyob99.dll replacement as described in:

Bill Becker

Tried that Bill, it still won't allow me to create new payees. Has that fixed your problem with payees can you confirm?
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 3:23 PM
  • I'm repeating myself here, ... but what version of Money are you running?

Bill Becker

Saturday, August 1, 2015 3:32 PM
  • I'm running UK Money 2005 with W10 and get the same message about needing IE6

Have updated both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector to IE =9.11.10240.0 and VML = 9.11.10240.0 but still MS Money wants IE6.

Like so many people I rely on MS Money so would appreciate any more suggestions

Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:10 PM
  • Money 2006 does NOT work.
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:17 PM
  • You've changed the wrong keys.  Change them back and then create and run the reg file described in a number of posts.  It will automatically make the change
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 8:04 PM
  • I am not competent to make the adjustment shown and do not see why I should have to. Can someone tell me the exact steps to make a Registry change without killing my PC

DWMP

Saturday, August 1, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Thanks, I put the values back to original and updated the correct key and hey presto MS Money 2005 now works!!

Many thanks

Saturday, August 1, 2015 10:00 PM
  • Hi Dave

I have been following this post and also use Money2005, which I do not want to lose when and if I upgrade to Windows 10. What is the correct key that you have updated please as I keep reading about mnyob99dll and the reg edit but these seem to relate to the Sunset version?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Hi mcmp59

Using regedit you only need to change the registry key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Click on the Internet Explorer key and you should then see in the right hand viewing pane about 10 parameters including one which says "version"

Right click on this and select modify

Change value to 9.11.10240.0 (mine was previously 9.0000) and then exit regedit 

Note - I did not need to do anything with any dll's

Hopefully MS Money 2005 UK version should then work

Let me know how you get on

Sunday, August 2, 2015 10:07 PM
  • I  tried  that change  didn't help.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:54 AM
  • Hi Dave

Thanks for that. I haven't had the message that I can download the upgrade yet but will probably hang on for a bit anyway to allow initial bugs to be ironed out. At the moment my version reads as 9.11.9600.17905, unless Windows 10 changes it. Will wait and see but hopefully have more of an idea what to do when I do upgrade. Otherwise I suppose it will have to be running Money in compatibility mode.

Thanks again.

• Edited by mcmp59 Monday, August 3, 2015 2:21 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:20 PM
  • mcmp59

I tried running Money in compatibility mode but it didn't work as it was still looking for IE6 (I tried both win 7 and win XP compatibility).

So I think your choices are stick with what you've got or upgrade to Win 10 and make the registry change.

BTW - you can download from Microsoft their Win 10 download tool if you want to upgrade but don't want to wait for your upgrade notification.

Dave

Monday, August 3, 2015 4:48 PM
  • hub95

Are you sure you changed the right registry key as it is easy to make a mistake?

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:37 PM
  • Thanks it's worked for me. Was worried that I might mess it up, followed instruction's and worked fine. Hope everything else is ok though changing the registry, I have wrote everything down so if needs be will put back. Thanks again.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 10:48 PM
  • Thanks for this but for the novice could you make it the instruction even more simple.

I have got into the registry to HKey Local Machine/Software/Microsoft/Wow6432Node

On the right hand side it says Default  REG_SZ (value not set)

If I click the Wow6432Node I get Foxit Reader

I note if I right click Wow6432Node I get some options - is it these I use.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:38 AM
  • linkyyork

Follow the instructions above and get to the right registry key which is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

By your own admission you have only navigated to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:10 PM
  • Right took a deep breath and jumped in...

I did not want to wait until every American had been upgraded so used the download tool. Had lunch, glass of Sauvignon Blanc, watched a bit of the cricket on TV and lo! the laptop was proudly showing Windows 10. Had a bit of a hiccup with Onedrive but bashed it into submission and launched MSMoney. No surprise it asked for IE6.

Made a restore point, edited the Registry (just type 'regedit' in the wee box) as per numerous posts (be VERY careful here folks as there are similar entries) and pow! we were up and running. A 'fake' transaction duly showed up on the desktop later.

So there we are. I have not yet tried downloading. If we manage okay for about a year I shall upgrade the office desktop.

By the way the Microsoft compatibility site lists all versions of MSMoney as being just fine for W10. Hah! Hah!

Good luck all!

Dr AS

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:34 PM
  • This worked fine for me (thanks all).

But for very novice users....

To run regedit, start Windows Power shell and enter regedit at prompt.

When you've closed regedit and exited power shell, reboot your pc and let it update.

Then (hopefully) Money 2005 should work.

Saturday, August 22, 2015 6:15 PM
  • Another data point:

A few weeks ago I did a clean install of W7x64 on this machine for reasons unrelated to MSMoney. I did not reinstall any browsers -- so only the default IE was installed, which, when last I checked, was IE11. In the course of that clean install, I reinstalled MSMoney (see version below) and did then mnyob??.dll patch.

A few minutes ago I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade from Windows 7.  I am running Money Sunset Personal -- Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.3817.  The previously mentioned Version key, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer, in this install, shows as 9.11.10240.16384

I made NO registry changes.  MSMoney opened normally and I could navigate normally, with no complaints about needing to reinstall IE5 or IE6.

I have not tried to import any *.ofx files, but I don't anticipate any problems as those who have done the .dll patch have been OK in that regard.

This suggests that the speculation about the problem having to do with the length of the Version value may not be the whole story.

Ron

Saturday, August 22, 2015 7:16 PM
  • «This suggests that the speculation about the problem having to do with the length of the Version value may not be the whole story.»

Note that I have not upgraded to W10 yet so I am only speaking from what I have read.  But I think you are not correct.  I believe that the latest update of W10 changed the IE version to one with a shorter number of digits.  Check it out.

Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:42 AM
  • Previous posts have indicated that a Windows 10 update from Microsoft eliminated the problem a week or so ago. An MS employee had certainly advised me of the Registry fix prior to this, so MS are well aware of the problem.

I have been able to use MSMoney (UK2005 version), and also download Bank Statements.

Dr AS

Sunday, August 23, 2015 10:21 AM
  • «This suggests that the speculation about the problem having to do with the length of the Version value may not be the whole story.»

Note that I have not upgraded to W10 yet so I am only speaking from what I have read.  But I think you are not correct.  I believe that the latest update of W10 changed the IE version to one with a shorter number of digits.  Check it out.

Check what out?  If you cannot read in my post the Version value in my registry, and compare it with the Version value others have posted as causing a problem, I don't see that my checking anything out is going to have much value.

Ron

Sunday, August 23, 2015 9:09 PM
  • Previous posts have indicated that a Windows 10 update from Microsoft eliminated the problem a week or so ago. An MS employee had certainly advised me of the Registry fix prior to this, so MS are well aware of the problem.

I have been able to use MSMoney (UK2005 version), and also download Bank Statements.

Dr AS

I also able to run Money after W10 Update.  I plan to update my productivity system from 8.1 to 10.

Is there MS Release notes on the update that confirms the fix?

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:55 AM
  • When I first loaded the Windows 10 on 22nd August 2015 my MSMoney 2004 did not work and repeatedly got the error message that please load IE 6. This is not possible in Windows 10. However, someone in the forum suggested that I edit the registry which I did not do. Then another gentleman suggested that I uninstall Money 2004 restart windows 10 and then reinstall the money afresh. Power off. when you restart Windows will update data and Money 2004 will work.

I have thus not lost any data of MS Money. Windows 10 is a great OS and I like it. 

Monday, August 24, 2015 8:16 AM
  • I just read on a Dutch forum that iT doesnt work together with Edge. Money requires a versies of Internet Explorer on your PC. You should set IE11 as your default browser instead. That should do the trick. Pls note that I have not migrated to W10
    Monday, August 24, 2015 7:05 PM
  • This solution worked!!! I can access all of my account info in Microsoft Money 2004 again on Windows 10! No registry alteration, just uninstalled, made sure IE was default browser, restart and reinstall Microsoft Money 2004. It opened right up and allowed me to resume entering transactions, etc. 
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:38 AM
  • When you restarted your PC it will probably have auto-updated. W10 has been (silently) fixed by MS. So all may be well but we must cross our fingers!

Dr AS

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:27 PM