Can't remove a dead disk. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom built box running one 80gb, and two new Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.  Low and behold one died.  I know I lost data from the server (I have a backup on the origional DVD!) but that disk is gone now.  I have a replacement and was able to get that added in.  I'm now showing three drives in WHS, two connected and one 'missing'.  When I try to remove it the wizard completes, but ends telling me it cannot remove the drive because files are still marked as there.

How do I correct this?  I want to get that drive delisted so WHS doesn't continue to think the world is comming to an end.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:41 AM

Answers

• Kaplah said:

I've already done that.  The problem is that the old drive entry cannot be deleted because WHS insists files are still on this nonexistant drive, but it's not reporting what these files might be.  The new drive is recognised and installed.  The way I did it wasn't far off what you did.  Since I didn't have a XP system handy I used a disk tool I've used on many machines with great success 'GParted'.  It lets you format, partition, resize and move partitions on any disk.  I blanked the drive, gave it a new partition, and it recognised right away.

My problem again is I need to get the old disk reference out of there.  Will reinstalling take care of this?  Also is the reinstall proceedure risky to your data partition?  I have the 120 day trial WHS (I'm halfway in).  Went that way because I wasn't sure it would work on my old hardware.  To my pleasant supprise it has.

Server Reinstallation should get rid of the phantom drive.  The problem is since you are using the eval, you won't be able to activate it again with that key.  (You can still do the reinstall, however you will only get 30 days before it starts rebooting automatically.)
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Server reinstall is an option and should fix tombstones at least to still  existing files.
    You also can try to get rid of the missing drive by following unsupported and potential dangerous procedure (especially, if you are not an computer expert):
    • Login locally or via Remote Desktop to your server.
    • Click Start/Run and type regedit.
    • In the Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks.
    • Right click the key, select Export and assign it a name in case something goes wrong.
    • Find the disk, which is declared as missing, take a note of it's GUID (that long key name in brackets) and delete the entire key of this disk.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes and export this key as well.
    • Check, if there are references to the disk GUID as subkey in any of the volumes. If a volume contains only references to this disk, delete the volume key.
    • Reboot the server.
    This should get rid of the missing disk, but if there are file conflicts remaining from the failed disk, they may still be there and have to be fixed later.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• Kaplah said:

two new Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.  Low and behold one died.

You may be able to resurrect the faulty drive with less pain.

There is firmware update that may fix the faulty Seagate drive.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/374/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200-11-failing
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207957
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Kaplah said:

I have a custom built box running one 80gb, and two new Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.  Low and behold one died.  I know I lost data from the server (I have a backup on the origional DVD!) but that disk is gone now.  I have a replacement and was able to get that added in.  I'm now showing three drives in WHS, two connected and one 'missing'.  When I try to remove it the wizard completes, but ends telling me it cannot remove the drive because files are still marked as there.

How do I correct this?  I want to get that drive delisted so WHS doesn't continue to think the world is comming to an end.

Is your server up-to-date?  What are the component numbers (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Jebz2,  That only works as a preventative.  Unfortunately once the drive tanks it is no longer recognizable by the BIOS and you can't flash it.  Anyway that drive is gone and has been replaced under warranty.  As such this isn't an option.

Kariya21, 

My versions are as follows:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Kaplah said:

Jebz2,  That only works as a preventative.  Unfortunately once the drive tanks it is no longer recognizable by the BIOS and you can't flash it.  Anyway that drive is gone and has been replaced under warranty.  As such this isn't an option.

Kariya21, 

My versions are as follows:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Actually something is wrong:  if you originally had 3 drives (one of which failed) and you added another drive (to replace the failed drive), then you should see 4 drives total in the Server Storage (3 good and 1 missing) until that bad drive has been removed from the Console.

Can you please give a detailed description of what you did and in what order?  Also, do you have any add-ins/apps installed on the server?  When you try to remove that drive, what is the exact error message you receive?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Somehow you got mixed up.  I had two drives, one died.  I've replaced that.  Two good, one missing.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Last summer I had almost the same issue with a workstation that was running a system drive and two data drives, same make, model and size. Bear with me on my explanation... Instead of a drive dying, I had resized the os drive's partition into something larger. That started a chain of events that led to me purchasing a new system drive.

After new OS was installed, I hooked up one of the data drives and re-imported thru disk manager. So far so good. Second drive, ok. Third drive which was the system drive, somehow corrupted the other two so that I incurred a similar situation as yourself, They were now being recognized incorrectly and yes, I lost data. What I eventually did is different than what I am goign to suggest here, but this may work for you...

Put the drive into XP Pro system if you can. Format into primary disk with two partitions. Put the drive back into WHS. At that point WHS should recognize it as somethign different.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 1:15 PM
  • I've already done that.  The problem is that the old drive entry cannot be deleted because WHS insists files are still on this nonexistant drive, but it's not reporting what these files might be.  The new drive is recognised and installed.  The way I did it wasn't far off what you did.  Since I didn't have a XP system handy I used a disk tool I've used on many machines with great success 'GParted'.  It lets you format, partition, resize and move partitions on any disk.  I blanked the drive, gave it a new partition, and it recognised right away.

My problem again is I need to get the old disk reference out of there.  Will reinstalling take care of this?  Also is the reinstall proceedure risky to your data partition?  I have the 120 day trial WHS (I'm halfway in).  Went that way because I wasn't sure it would work on my old hardware.  To my pleasant supprise it has.
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Kaplah said:

I've already done that.  The problem is that the old drive entry cannot be deleted because WHS insists files are still on this nonexistant drive, but it's not reporting what these files might be.  The new drive is recognised and installed.  The way I did it wasn't far off what you did.  Since I didn't have a XP system handy I used a disk tool I've used on many machines with great success 'GParted'.  It lets you format, partition, resize and move partitions on any disk.  I blanked the drive, gave it a new partition, and it recognised right away.

Server Reinstallation should get rid of the phantom drive.  The problem is since you are using the eval, you won't be able to activate it again with that key.  (You can still do the reinstall, however you will only get 30 days before it starts rebooting automatically.)
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Server reinstall is an option and should fix tombstones at least to still  existing files.
    You also can try to get rid of the missing drive by following unsupported and potential dangerous procedure (especially, if you are not an computer expert):
    • Login locally or via Remote Desktop to your server.
    • Click Start/Run and type regedit.
    • In the Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks.
    • Right click the key, select Export and assign it a name in case something goes wrong.
    • Find the disk, which is declared as missing, take a note of it's GUID (that long key name in brackets) and delete the entire key of this disk.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes and export this key as well.
    • Check, if there are references to the disk GUID as subkey in any of the volumes. If a volume contains only references to this disk, delete the volume key.
    • Reboot the server.
    This should get rid of the missing disk, but if there are file conflicts remaining from the failed disk, they may still be there and have to be fixed later.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Olaf,

Thank you for your help!  I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.  Your solution worked!  Not only that but my WHS reported what files were missing once I got the right registry value out of there.

A note to any Microsoft employees on the line.  Part of the reason I use WHS is for the file replication.  Removing a dead drive, and making it easy must be made an easier process.  Instead of blocking a drive removal because there are files listed on a dead disk the system should output a text file of what files are missing so the user can restore those at a later time then remove the disk without arguement.  This would be more consistant with your competitors products (i.e. Drobo, FreeNas, etc).
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:37 PM
  • The drive removal wizard is much less robust than the target audience really needs it to be, IMO. It should be able to force a drive out of the pool if that drive is failing, without registry edits or physically disconnecting the drive from the server first to simulate a completely failed disk. One side effect of forcing a drive out of the storage pool will be that files on that disk will be lost if they're not duplicated, but if the drive is failing, typically you can't get to them anyway.

There is (now) a suggestion on Connect to this effect. Feel free to vote and verify. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:00 PM