CRM 2013 Basic license OnPremise - limits chek RRS feed

• Question

• We have a CRM 2013 OnPremise installation with many users with only the Basic License. From the official MS documents (http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/E/5/3E5F721D-69F4-4398-9E25-A47F81777031/MicrosoftDynamicsCRM2013On-PremisesLicensingGuide(CustomerReady).pdf) I see that a Basic user cannot convert a Lead into an opportunity but I've found that CRM doesn't actually test for license limits: this was confirmed in a few test where a Basic user was able to create Opportunities, Quotest etc... so it was violating the license without a warning (CRM 2013 UR1 OnPremise).

What we need to do is guarantee a customer that they will not violate the license with their Basic Users, so I was thinking about creating a custom Security Role that only has the Basic features enabled. Do you think this is a good idea? Isn't there a role like this supplied from Microsoft? It seems so strange that we are the only one with this issue...

Thanks

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:01 AM

All replies

• You are correct - the platform doesn't have any built in mechanism to check license type versus functionality. As far as I know the recommendation was in fact to create custom security roles that matched the different license types and apply them accordingly. Hopefully at some point in the near future Microsoft will pre-create these roles and include them for easier utilization. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:43 PM