Live Mesh: Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a bug, or I may not have setup Mesh correctly, I've done a search and cannot seem to find any other reports of this so...

Recently started using Mesh. After adding this computer to the 'Devices' I find I cannot connect to it per say. The Computer shows up on the 'Ring' with no yellow triangle. I click 'Connect' it asks me to install the active x, the dialog box pops up asking if I want to connect. I click 'Connect' and all I see is a black screen in the IE7 window with the "Send CTRL ALT DEL" "Hide Remote Desktop", etc panel.

I have yet to get this computer's desktop to appear. That's fine and all, the real issue is when I go to check on this computer. All that is visible is the desktop background. Upon inspection I see that I cannot turn on/off Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, or Num Lock; this would indicate the PC is frozen and I'm forced to do a hard-reboot. I get no "System has encounter an Error" messages upon reboot.

I even tried to use my other home computer that sits next to this one. As soon as I clicked on 'Connect' in the Dialog box that appears over the black screen inside the IE window this computer's desktop blanks (leaving only the background picture) and I'm forced to reboot to regain control of this computer.

Additional Notes:

After the first connection attempt this computer's 'icon' on the Ring appears with a yellow triangle instructing me to see this computer's Live Mesh notifier, which I can't since I have to reboot.

It's literally like the remote computer I'm using 'steals' my desktop and refuses to give it back.

Specs:
    XP w/ SP3
    Live Mesh Software version 0.9.3424.14
    IE7 fully updated
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Seteh,

Thanks for your post. Can you please confirm that you are logged in as an administrator on the local device.

If you are an administrator, then please generate Live Mesh logs on the local machine AND also from the remote machine - please label the logs as local and remote (something helpful).  And then submit a bug using the Live Mesh bug submission tool at https://connect.microsoft.com/livemesh/feedback.

How to generate Live Mesh Logs:

1. Click Start
    2. Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder
    3. Click Collect Live Mesh Logs
    4. Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file: LiveMeshLogs.cab now located on your desktop
    5. Attach those files to your bug and please add any additional details.

Your help improves Live Mesh!

Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Seteh,

Thanks for your post. Can you please confirm that you are logged in as an administrator on the local device.

If you are an administrator, then please generate Live Mesh logs on the local machine AND also from the remote machine - please label the logs as local and remote (something helpful).  And then submit a bug using the Live Mesh bug submission tool at https://connect.microsoft.com/livemesh/feedback.

How to generate Live Mesh Logs:

1. Click Start
    2. Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder
    3. Click Collect Live Mesh Logs
    4. Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file: LiveMeshLogs.cab now located on your desktop
    5. Attach those files to your bug and please add any additional details.

Your help improves Live Mesh!

Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Are you attempting to initiate the remote connection from a web browser? Have you tried to initiate from the Live Mesh client on another PC in the Mesh? There was another report on this in the forum recently, too, but the remote machine didn't "lock" as you describe.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Yes, I was using IE7.

Next try I'll see about 'Meshing' to another PC from this machine.

After Thought:
    I may have just coined a term for this application - Meshing
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Any update on this issue, Seteh?

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:52 PM