none
Synctoy 2.0 becomes extremely slow during the synchronization process RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I use Synctoy to synchronize (Edit: Echo mode) a development folder with a deep tree of files and sub-folders: about 215.000 files, 2800 sub-folders for more than 40 GB.
    I have followed the instructions to upgrade from 2.0 beta to 2.0 release.

The latest update of our network folder add many files to be synchronized (160.000 files to be overwritten for 5GB). All these files are small files (about 30 KB)
    . The Synctoy Preview has processed quite quickly (about 10 minutes with all this data). But the synchronization process was extremely sloooow.

At the beginning, the files were copied very quickly (even if I could see some pauses in the process every 1.000 files copied). Then, the number of copied files per minute has continued to decrease during the synchronisation until to "reach" 3 seconds for 5 files copied while there are very small files ! The entire copy process has finished in more than 23 hours.
    So it seems that the copy process is longer and longer as the number of operations is important.
    Edit:
    - the synchronization process is slow for file deletions too, it is not only the file copy
    - I have noticed that many many temporary files are quickly created and deleted in the right folder (named "FSP-{long-random-string-here}.tmp").

Please note that if we remove all data from our local hard disk, and copy all the files directly from the network (copy/paste), it takes only about 40 minutes. We have tried on several computers, at different time: it is neither a hard disk problem nor a too slow network.

Has somebody noticed the same problem ? Is there a plan to fix this performance issue ?

I would be grateful if someone could help me to solve this problem.
    Thanks a lot

Best regards,
    Aldebaran

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:27 PM

All replies

• I've noticed the exact same thing.  I'm syncing pictures (about 20,000) and had good success with v 1.4.  After upgrading, it can run all day and not complete the small updates (about 1 gig of changes).  Something seems broke in 2.0.

If it helps anyone, I'm using it in contribute mode.

Sean
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Hello,

I did a new synchronization yesterday, with the same parameters as described in my first post.
    The preview step was done in about 10 minutes: 12.000 new files, 804 create folders, 40 overwrite for about 380 MB.
    Same problem : the synchronization process has been extremely slow at the end (25 minutes) while it was faster at the beginning. All the files are small (less than 35KB).

Thanks for your attention

Best regards,
    Aldebaran
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:54 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  It's taken SyncToy 2.0 about an hour to transfer 1,500 small files (30-50k).  This is bordering unusable...
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Hello,

Does somebody have some information on these performance problems ?

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:37 AM
  • There are kinds of thing you could have a try to resolve the perf issue. 1) Did you check the "Check file contents" option? This will slow down syncing perf. Try to remove the setting. 2) If you set "Save overwite files in recycle Bin", and there have had a lot of files in recycle bin. Try to empty recycle bin, then have a try. 3) When using SyncToy to sync very large number of files, it will met performance issue too. Our suggestion is to create multiple folder pairs to sync your files. That will help to speed the sync process. Thanks, Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Hi all,

I was having the same problem with the sync being ridiculously slow, using 2.1 with Windows 7. After finding nothing online that helps, I realised my Recycle Bin was totally full, containing the overwritten and deleted files. I thought maybe having to move the files to my recycle bin while simultaneously deleting from it (because the bin is full) could be slowing it down.

Lo and behold, I turn off the 'copy overwritten files to recycle bin' (or whatever it's called) and BOOM, 5000 music files in 10 minutes.

This could explain why it starts so quick (filling up the bin) then slows down to all hell (bin is full).

Anyway, hope that helps other people!

Love from Australia.

• Proposed as answer by Nyqu1st Monday, April 23, 2012 10:18 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 10:15 PM