Client Goes into Standby After Resume From Hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• My work laptop, a Dell Inspiron E1705, occasionally goes into standby after resuming from hibernate.  I submitted a bug on Connect (ID 263368) in March.  As directed by someone on the WHS Team, I went through several connector uninstall/reinstall cycles and the issue comes and goes along with the Connector. 

Connect resolved the bug as "not reproducible" and I left the Connector uninstalled on the laptop.  Last week I installed the CTP Connector and have had it occur twice.  It has also happened on my desktop, but it's very infrequent.

Now that we're not allowed to submit bugs to Connect, I thought I'd throw this one out to the forum for ideas.

thanks,

Murray

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 12:11 AM

Answers

•  TooTallSid wrote:
    Joel,

The thing I struggle with is that this seems to be tied to a "feature", which is for a hibernating/sleeping computer to wakeup in the middle of the night and do a backup.  I have been reading this thread for months and have come to this conclusion.

I am astonished, because I would guess that 99% of the users would not even know this is possible.  And given how intensely annoying the go-into-standby-after-resume-from-hibernate is, could we at least get an option to disable it?!

Am I missing something here?  The feedback on this thread seems to be very confused, frustrated, and negative.  Why not do the simple thing and disable this "feature" or at least make it optional, and default to disabled.

We have listened to this suggestion and it is a part of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1.

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:27 PM

All replies

• likely this is a issue with your bios or windows power management settings. You may want to check the timeout settings for your laptop in that regard. Typically WHS should bring the laptop out of hibernate/standby and backup the client, then the resulting state of the computer will be determined by windows when it idles out.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 12:48 AM
  • It's much more likely to be Windows than the BIOS, I think. I had the same problem with a laptop until I recently reinstalled the OS (for other reasons). Now that it has a fresh OS installation, it's not doing it any more.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but re-installing Windows would be too disruptive to my work right now.  (Does life really exist outside of the forums?  )

I think I have narrowed down the scenario.  Based on the last three days, it seems to consistently happen when I come home and leave my laptop in its bag overnight.  Obviously, the auto backup doesn't run because the laptop wakes up on battery. 

Normally, I work a few hours in the evening and leave the laptop powered up overnight.  This is why the symptom was happening so infrequently over the past few months.  I'm not sure what the Connector does when it cancels the backup when running on battery.  But there must be something that's different in the power state logic.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Check your "wake on arp/ping" setting in the advanced tab of your network card settings (from hardware tab on the system app). Mine was set to enable and the system wouldn't go back to hibernate after a backup. Disabling that setting not only let my HP dv4000 go back to hibernate on schedule, it also prevented random acts of awakening whenever WHS would poll the network to see who was awake. Good luck! Meanwhile, back at the WHS CTP,
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:51 AM
  • Technogeez,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this problem is a little different.  The laptop does go back to hibernate after waking up for the backup.  The problem occurs the next day when I go to work and resume from hibernate.  It comes up normally, then when Windows is ready and connected to the LAN, it then goes into standby.  I would suspect something to do with our corp. net, but I've seen this happen once on my desktop at home.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 3:19 PM
  • OK - I gotcha - I've seen that once in a while, too.  It's as if the computer went into hibernation just as it was going into standby and never completed running the standby shutdown.  When it comes back on, it immediately goes into standby, and you have to wake it back up.  But I was getting that before I even knew of WHS, so I don't think it's directly related to it.  Sorry, didn't mean to insult your WinIQ...
    Friday, June 8, 2007 2:05 AM
  • I have this happening on 2 laptops - an IBM Thinkpad T42 and Compaq 2177. Both get hibernated, both running Connector. Both resume from hibernate and immediately go into sleep mode. They resume from sleep OK after closing and opening their lids. Uninstalling connector seems to have resolved this problem.

As an aside, Office 2007 on the IBM has become unusable in the last couple of days (after the 1st automated backup). Attempted a repair - it still doesn't work. I've uninstalled connector at the moment. For example, Outlook reports "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot initialize Microsoft Office shared utilities. Restart your computer or Reinstalll Microsoft Office Outlook.".

I don't know if this is related to WHS - it's just it has happened at much the same time.

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:21 AM
  • I have the same issue on 2 laptops, a Dell E1505 running MCE 2005 and a Dell 600m running XP Home SP2.  It always seems to occur after scheduled backups that are never actually initiated (no references in logs) for one reason or another.  It is absolutely connected to the WHS Connector being installed and the Windows Home Server Connector service running - it does not occur if the Connector is uninstalled, and it does not occur if the service is stopped prior to entering into hibernate for the night.

On both laptops, I have additional issues with scheduled backups - consistently on the 600m, and intermittently on the E1505.  Last night the E1505 was in hibernate but unplugged from A/C power, and in the morning after resuming from hibernate it immediately showed the "Preparing to enter standby" message and entered standby while I was in the process of entering my password.  From past experience it doesn't matter if you try to enter the password or not, and in some cases I've actually been quick enough to enter the password and see the Windows desktop before the system went back into standby.  On occassion the 600m will get stuck into a loop coming out and going right back into standby, and the only way to break the cycle is a hard power off and restart.

I've seen a few bugs with similar details logged to Connect under the CTP build, and each has been closed without explanation.  This problem is taking a lot of the shine off of the Windows Home Server software - my wife has in fact asked that the Connector remain uninstalled on her system because she's tired of having the problem, and if I can't back up every computer in the house automatically, I'm not getting the benefits of having the server software running.

I've just made another TALQ submission from the E1505 following the issue occurring this morning when the system was in hibernate but disconnected from power last night - CAB # is 354948393.  And in case it helps, a previous submission from the 600m with the CTP build is # 340865506.

I'd really appreciate it if someone from the WHS team could look into this a little more closely...

Thanks,

Tim

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Tim,

Can you please run TALQ on the server for me? Also, can you give me the previous bug numbers that you submitted on Connect so I can look those up?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Thanks, Tom!

I ran TALQ on the server, but didn't receive a CAB number... I entered my handle as "testerjtester at gmail.com" (replace " at " with @ of course), which I'm not sure is the correct format.

I'll try to dig up the previous bug numbers and post them as well.

Really appreciate your help!

Tim

Thursday, July 5, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Tom,

I could only find one bug that I'd filed for similar behavior with the CTP build, ID 275577 - this was on my 600m.  It doesn't look like I'm still getting the 7011 timeout events from the WHS Connector service anymore, but my guess at this point is that those were related to the failed backups, and my theory is that the standby on resume from hibernate issue occurs when the backups fail or fail to start for any reason...

Also, I'm not seeing the endless standby loop in the morning anymore, it's just a single instance of entering into standby after the initial resume from hibernate.

Thanks again,

Tim

Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:57 PM
  • I re-ran TALQ on the server, and this time it sent properly - CAB # is 355171034...

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, July 5, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I took a look at your TALQ logs that you have just sent, and also the previous ones, and they all indicate that your laptop is experiencing failures with the Wireless Zero Config Service, and also that the laptop makes the connection to the server, but the connection is interrupted. One thing to maybe try would be to disable that service, connect the laptop over ethernet on the same router / switch as the server and then try a backup of your laptop.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:33 PM
  • Thanks, Tom... I'll try your suggestions and report back.  I had tried an ethernet connection on the 600m with the CTP build with no success, but haven't tried with RC, and of course haven't yet tried disabling Wireless Zero Config...

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, July 5, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Tom,

Sorry it took a while to get back to this... but I tried disabling the Wireless Zero Config service on the 600m and still have the same problem with the system failing to complete automated backups and immediately entering standby after resuming from hibernat in the morning.  In fact, now the original problem on this system has returned of re-entering standby in a loop that doesn't allow logon to the system until a force a hard reboot.  Note that the wireless zero config service wasn't even running when I disabled it - the laptop is actually using the wireless management utility that came with the Dell at the moment, and I had switched to that during the process of troubleshooting the problem when I first saw it with the CTP build.  I wonder if that's the reason you saw WZC problems in the talq logs I submitted?

For various reasons I'm having trouble getting time to run additional troubleshooting steps at the moment, so I still need to try connecting to ethernet, though I had done that with CTP and had no luck.  I'm wondering if there might be any possible way to simulate or initiate an automatic backup attempt outside of the normal backup window, as it's pretty slow going since I only have one opportunity to try something new each day...

Thanks,

Tim

Monday, July 9, 2007 12:31 PM
  • I've experienced a similar (possibly related?) problem during last night's backup window, where my laptop woke from sleep as scheduled, but went back into sleep 2m 44s later without attempting to perform a backup. This is odd not only because of the lack of backup, but because my machine has no sleep timer set so has no reason to go into standby of it's own accord. I did not have any problems waking it manually the next morning.

The machine is a Dell Precision M20 running Vista Enterprise, and is joined to a domain. It was put into sleep while logged off. It was supposed to connect via wireless but according to my wireless access logs, the machine had not yet authenticated to the network before it went back into standby.

The client TALQ is 356170794. The server event logs don't seem to show any attempt to backup either but I've run TALQ anyway (356171807). Does this seem related or should I start a new thread for the issue?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:55 AM
  • I am also experiencing this problem on my Acer Aspire 3100. When I wake the laptop from hibernate it instantly goes into standby, has anybody had any luck in finding some sort of fix for this, that isn't uninstalling the connector software? Don't really want to resort to that and defeat the purpose of using WHS...

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:22 AM
  • After experiencing the problem once also on my desktop, I took a good look at the logs and it seems like this was happening if the computer didn't received a valid IP address via DHCP before a certain time period elapsed. My laptop wasn't receiving one in this instance because I was using user-mode PEAP to authenticate and wasn't logged on, so leaving it logged on but locked seemed to alleviate the problem.

I can only assume that if the connector software cannot contact the server within a short time after resuming, it gives up and puts the machine back into suspend.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:04 AM
  • I'm still seeing variations on this problem on all of my laptops, including my Dell Latitude D620 work laptop which I've recently set up for backups.  The 600m still gives me the looping standby/resume/standby issue, so I am forced to keep the WHS connector service disabled and run manual backups from time to time.  The others will immediately go into standby on resume from hibernate after any failed backup attempts the night before.

I've tried setting static IP addresses to give them a little extra help in establishing a connection to the server when they wake up, but no change.

This is really quite frustrating - does anyone have any updated information or ideas regarding this problem?

Thanks,

Tim

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:57 PM
  • I am also still getting the same problem. My laptop fails to backup during the backup window. Then when waking the laptop from hibernation after the backup window has passed it goes straight into standby. I then have to wake the laptop from standby and it will function as normal.

I can hibernate and wake the laptop successfully as much as I want until it fails the next backup at which point when I wake the laptop up it goes straight into standby.

The only thing I can think of is setting the backup windows to be 24 hours a day, of course you could then be interupted by WHS during the day attempting to make a backup. Presumably WHS would wait for a computer to be inactive for a certain period of time before attempting a backup?

If anyone has any further ideas they'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Alan

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:59 PM
  •  rickers2k6 wrote:

The only thing I can think of is setting the backup windows to be 24 hours a day, of course you could then be interupted by WHS during the day attempting to make a backup. Presumably WHS would wait for a computer to be inactive for a certain period of time before attempting a backup?

Well that's no good just found that the backup window can be no more than 23 hours long...

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 7:02 PM
  • I have the same issue with two different laptops. An averatec 3250 with XP SP2 and a Dell 600M XP SP2. Both machines go into standby after resuming from hibernation. Both machines are using the RC1 connector software.  Does the RTM connector resolve this issue??

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:48 AM
  • I've got exactly the same issue here.  Dell 600m and I leave it hybernated at night.  With the connector installed (and never beforehand) when I come out in the morning and turn it on, it will immediately enter standby.  If I turn it back on it will do it again, etc.  The only way out is a hard power off and restart.  The backups, coincidentally, do not run, but run fine when triggered manually. 

I'm afraid to even tell my girlfriend that it's a WHS issue as I don't want to have to rip it off this machine, but it clearly is WHS related - can anyone tell us what's specific to these machines (I've heard the 600m mentioned several times here) or what might be triggering it?  I'd be happy to make a TALQ submission if it would be helpful.
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 2:38 PM
  • This is the one bug w/ WHS that is really annoying.

I use password protection on my BIOS boot and my Windows accounts, so going from Hibernation to Standy means entering the passwords several times.  In fact, I just wait now when I come out of Hibernation.

I have experienced this on all three of my laptops: a Dell 6000, an HP N5210, and a Dell 5150.  They all run Win XP Pro.  They all use wireless to access the network. They have different wireless adapters, but they all use the Windows wireless network thingy to find networks.  They are all set to Hibernate; none are set to Standby under any circumstances (neither timeout nor lid closure.)

If they are off, they do not get backed up during the backup window. I had no idea that this was even an option!  It is kind of an interesting idea, but it is big voodoo, I would think, and apparently the incantations aren't right yet.

Uninstalling the connector cures the problem. (Kind of like death cures cancer. Surprise)   If they have taken a recent backup, then it goes away.   It seems like when the WHS/WHS Connector think it is time to take another backup that this trouble comes back.

If this problem is still around when HP and Dell ship, they are going to get a bunch of tech support calls...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:02 AM
  • I also have the same problem on a T42 since installing the Connector. The only thing I can add in addition is that I can no longer use Standby as whenever I come back to the machine the battery is flat. Therefore, this bug is preventing Standby from operating correctly.

Aside from that, my symptoms are the same. Resume from Hibernation, enter password, seconds later machine goes into Standby, resume from Standby, enter password, carry on as normal ....
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:25 AM
  • A further observation, is that this only happens after the client would have tried to backup. eg if I hibernate/standby the machine at work, go home, use it in the evening, then it doesn't go into standby as it comes out of hibernate/standby. However, it does happen again the next morning.
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Yes, exactly.   After a successful backup, the behavior goes away, but then returns when it is time for another backup.

I left both my machine on overnight last night.  They both successfully backed up and now the problem is gone.  For awhile, I'm sure, only to return in a few days.

This is a very "hard" error.  I have observed it on three machines, even after reinstalling the O/S and the WHS connector.  Again, these are all WinXP Pro machines.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Windows XP does not give us a clear view whether it was in sleep mode or hibernation.  Windows Vista does.  That is why your computer will turn on from sleep or hibernation but not go back to the original state sometimes. 

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Husk I'm experiencing the same problem as you describe with exactly the same symptoms on my Acer Aspire 3100 laptop. I have been contemplating installing Vista on the laptop for a while so perhaps ill try that and report back my findings.

If this is a compatibility problem with Windows XP then this is sure to alienate a large number of users when WHS is released publicly...

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:50 AM
  • I've seen this on a couple of laptops at my house. Both Dell, one Inspiron 2650 and one Dell D600. 2650 has XP Home and D600 has XP Pro. Desktop client with XP Pro is on 24/7 so it never hibernates/standby. When we leave the 2650 in hibernate using Linksys PC Card 802.11G card, system comes on and then goes right to standby. Wife is quite annoyed because the machine is slow enough and having to come-back from stand-by seems trivial but unexpected behavior is what turns her off.
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:25 AM
  •  

Touch wood, we haven't had any problems-yet-with any of the norebooks.

However, for a friend who had similar problems, but not WHS related, I installed TOff , which will carry out a predefined standby/hibernate/off task at a pre-determined time. Maybe it would help for people who are having problems.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, September 15, 2007 5:52 PM
  • I just removed the WHS client from my laptop and now it works fine.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 8:53 PM
  • After living with this problem for months, my long-term solution has been to turn automatic backups off for my laptop. 

Twice a week or so, I turn backups on, run a manual backup, then turn backups off.  I miss the automatic backups, but since they don't happen when I leave my laptop in the bag at night, I'm not losing too much in terms of time between backups.

I do get annoyed with the WHS console. You have to turn backups on before performing a manual backup.  It seems that this step is redundant from a UI perspective.  Let the user run a manual backup when automatic backups are off.

Murray

Monday, October 1, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Murray,

On one of our test systems, we had a notebook that didn't go back into hibernation by itself.

To overcome this and still have it backed up, we tried Toff, it will turn off or hibernate the appropriate computer.

We used it for a while and then noticed that the machine had started to go into hibernation on it's own - goodness knows why!

HTH,

Colin

Monday, October 1, 2007 6:12 PM
  • So this issue is still unresolved after all this time. I can't see the mrs approving the $AU200 for something that mucks up every time she starts her computer in the morning.

I've 3 different computers that attach to WHS and two of them suffer this problem; the odds are not too good.

I like everything else that I've tried with WHS, but I reckon this is a show stopper.

Has anyone tried the release version and found different behaviour? (i.e. is it fixed in the release version?)

Thanks,

Graham

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:53 AM
  • It's still the same in RTM, mainly because the Hibernate functions are part of the client Computer, not the Connector software, all it is doing, is setting a call to the underlaying hardware/firmware and I think quite a few companies, although meeting the Hibernation requirements, do it in their own way. Certainly, Dell and Asus appear to have their own way of doing things, as I've had more problems with them, than any other.

Colin

Monday, October 22, 2007 11:07 AM
  •   I'm encountering the same (or nearly the same) problem on my wife's PC.  She has a Dell P4 system with a D-LINK USB wireless adapter (Yes, a desktop with a USB wireless adapter).  With both the RC and the release versions of WHS, after installing the connector software her PC will go right back into standby mode after she wakes it up to use it.  Most of the time the second "wake up call" will allow the system to stay "awake" but it is not an acceptable way for her to work.  I've only seen this on her desktop system, my desktop, both the old one (home built AMD 64 3000+) and my recently upgraded one (home built AMD 64 x2 4600+) have no problems, my laptop (Compaq w/ AMD Turion 64 1.8GHZ) also has no problems. 

I saw a post suggesting that this occurs do the system not have an IP address right away.  I may try setting her IP address to static and see what happens.  I'll post my results.

Hopefully somebody can find a solution to this issue. 

Eric Sten

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:28 PM
  • I just bought a new laptop w/ Vista Home Premium and after 10 days, I have not had this problem once, whereas I had it all the time with Win XP SP2 on three other laptops.  Hmm...
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Joel,

The thing I struggle with is that this seems to be tied to a "feature", which is for a hibernating/sleeping computer to wakeup in the middle of the night and do a backup.  I have been reading this thread for months and have come to this conclusion.

I am astonished, because I would guess that 99% of the users would not even know this is possible.  And given how intensely annoying the go-into-standby-after-resume-from-hibernate is, could we at least get an option to disable it?!

Am I missing something here?  The feedback on this thread seems to be very confused, frustrated, and negative.  Why not do the simple thing and disable this "feature" or at least make it optional, and default to disabled.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 1:01 AM
  • It's a function of the client-side operating system in conjunction with the BIOS. The server has no influence over this and the Console only calls the underlaying firmware/software settings.

It's easy enough to disable either the backups, the sleep settings, or the hibernate settings if thats what you want to do.

Colin

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Colin,

It seems like you're telling me that the behavior that dozens of people have reported on this thread is not a problem.  Or if it is a problem, that we should all quit sniveling and accept it.  Or that there are some easy settings of the the sleep settings or the hibernate settings that any of us can do.  Or that we don't really need the backup part of WHS and should just use it as an expensive software-RAIDed file server.

What are these easy settings for sleep or hibernate that fix this bug?

And I really don't understand your first two sentences.  I use MS Word on my client, and don't have this problem.  Yet when I use the WHS *client* (not the server), it does occur.  My troubleshooting logic leads me to conclude that it is probably something with the WHS client, and its interation with the client-side operating system in conjunction with the BIOS.  Something that MS Word and Adobe Reader don't do.  I am sort of hoping that the folks at MS who designed and coded this will debug it and find the code that stimulates this bug in the client-side operating system working in conjunction with the BIOS.   Maybe it's even a bug in the WHS client code...
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:23 PM
  • It seems clear that something in the backup process leaves these systems in a state that causes the problem to occur - it comes and goes as backups are enabled or disabled, or the connector is installed and uninstalled.  I suspect that the worst problem of going into standby immediately after resume from hibernate is related to backup attempts that fail for some reason, but I've seen related behavior (other power management issues, such as a failure to return to hibernate) following successful backups, depending on the system and other factors. 

I've had to take the step on two of my systems of disabling the connector service and re-enabling only to run manual backups periodically, which tends to detract from the "set it and forget it" quality of the WHS package that makes it so appealing. 

Since this isn't a universal issue, I'll accept that there is something in the BIOS or software on affected systems that contributes to the bug... but it's still a bug.  I've never had the same thing happen on any system without having the WHS connector installed and backups scheduled, and I haven't yet been able to find any evidence of the same problem occurring outside of WHS testing in many previous internet searches.  If this is solely a BIOS or OS issue, surely something else, somewhere, should expose it.

I haven't had much time to gather more data on the problem in quite a while, but I'll need to make time soon, as the clock is ticking on my RC installation and this could be a make or break issue for me when determining whether to buy the RTM version, as I suspect it is for many others. 

Would it be possible for someone from the WHS team to become actively involved here again, and offer suggestions regarding data to gather or things to look at?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 4:39 AM
  • I'm sorry but I don't understand what is easy about this except to uninstall the Connetor s/w from the laptop.

Every morning my laptop has a flat battery because it brought itself out of standby in the middle of the night and failed to go back into it until the battery actually dies comepletely, or it just about makes it into hibernation.  The server is not always available, depending upon the physical location of my laptop. Turning off backup is a server function (unless I'm mistaken).

I suppose I could use Hibernate instead of Standby, but that doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:27 AM
  • I don't think that using hibernate will help either; this is what I have been using all along (and having the problems discussed above).

In addition, my WHS install has decided that it's no longer log-in-able as the trial has expired, even though only a few days ago I checked and it said it didn't run out until 21 December. (I'm still able to access the data via the network thank goodness; I'm busy removing all the data before it locks me out altogether).

From my perspective, I don't think I'll bother with the retail WHS (I was really keen) given that 2 of the 3 main PCs that I had planned to use it with don't actually work correctly once the connector software is installed.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Yes, I agree and have confirmed that Hibernation doesn't work.

I also tend to agree about the whole WHS thing, especially if there is an expensive licence to buy. I can see a Linux solution heading my way.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:17 PM
  • I thought I'd check back in on this thread once again to see if anyone has had any luck isolating the problem, or found a solution...

The behavior is 100% consistent for me on both of my XP laptops.  Leaving the laptops in standby with the lid open before going to bed, if an automatic backup attempt does not complete for any reason (firewall loses the setting to allow the connector service to access the network, laptop is not plugged in to A/C power, server-side issues such as backup service not running), when powering the system on in the morning, it returns immediately to standby, and on resuming from that standby, immediately enters standby again, over, and over, and over, until a hard power off.  Sometimes I can't even finish logging in before it goes back into standby.  Sometimes, if I'm fast enough, I can break the cycle by doing something like opening explorer, but other times that and any other attempts to show the system that I'm trying to use it are ignored, and it plugs its ears and says "la-la-la I can't hear you" and goes right back to sleep.  I've tried every idea I've seen in this and similar threads.

Sooner or later one of the laptops is going to lose data due to the bad shutdown.  Plus, it's really, really annoying.

Really.

Has anyone with similar problems had any luck?

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:08 AM
  • I recently bought WHS and have been seeing this behavior on my laptop, now I know why.  This seems to have been a known issue for almost a year, and is obviously a problem in the WHS client software, I have little hope this will get fixed.  This really is a killer for a main selling point for WHS, because now I'm going to have to uninstall this connector and it sounds like doing manual backups is a pain.  I have another issue i'm about to post on another thread with the OS itself, i'm extremely disappointed in this package and it feels like another piece of could-have-been software just foisted out there with no support to make it something that could be truly great.  www.orb.com here i come.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:47 AM
  • I have a work around for my Dell 600m. I went into the BIOS and have the computer wake at midnight every night and then I have my power settings set to hibernate after 3 hours. WHS is set to run backups from midnight to 3 AM. I get consistent back ups and the computer wakes from hibernate correctly when I turn it back on later in the day. I know this is not how it is supposed to work but I get my desired results.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:23 AM
  •  TooTallSid wrote:
    Joel,

We have listened to this suggestion and it is a part of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1.

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

Quick question:  has anyone successfully validated that this is fixed in PP1?  I've been suffering through this bug for months (whenever I leave my laptop in standby unplugged over night).  Just wanted to know if it's actually fixed.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:53 PM
  •  awp0 wrote:
     Joel Burt wrote:

Quick question:  has anyone successfully validated that this is fixed in PP1?  I've been suffering through this bug for months (whenever I leave my laptop in standby unplugged over night).  Just wanted to know if it's actually fixed.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron

Installed PP1 yesterday (including connector software upgrade) and intentionally left my laptop on battery overnight.  This problem still seems to be present. 

Two things I noticed that may be different:  1) It took a little longer than usual after logging into my computer for it to unexpectedly jump into standby (maybe 10 seconds instead of 5 seconds).  2) it only went into standby once.  I was able to successfully log in after that.  Usually it does this several times in a row before I can resume working on my laptop.

Joel can you confirm that this has not been fixed?  Or was the bug fixed but potentially needs to be reopened?

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Friday, June 13, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Joel,

Thanks very much for checking back in on this one... just to confirm, are you saying that the "entering standby after resume from hibernate" issue was addressed, or (as I suspect) that PP1 provides the ability to disable waking up from standby/hibernate to run automatic backups via the new Connector option?

I'm grateful at least for that feature, as it will provide an easy option to avoid the frustrating behavior of the standby loops... so, either way, thanks!

Tim
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:40 PM
  •  piercej wrote:
    I have a work around for my Dell 600m. I went into the BIOS and have the computer wake at midnight every night and then I have my power settings set to hibernate after 3 hours. WHS is set to run backups from midnight to 3 AM. I get consistent back ups and the computer wakes from hibernate correctly when I turn it back on later in the day. I know this is not how it is supposed to work but I get my desired results.

Thanks for sharing this workaround, one of my clients is also a 600m so I'll try to configure it the same way if PP1 doesn't end up addressing the problem itself...

Tim
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:43 PM
  • So, I've confirmed on multiple systems that even with PP1, the problem still exists, but instead of getting stuck in a standby loop, the systems only enter standby once immediately following a resume from hibernate following a backup window.  This is with the new tray icon option to wake the computer from standby/hibernate to perform backups de-selected.

Tim
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Hi!

I have the same problem without using any backup program in my IBM T40.

It start after a clean installation of XP SP2 and before upgrading to SP3.

I´ll try with a new installation, because I´ve the latest BIOS (no related topics in the bios affect this problem) and no thing that I tried works fine to solve it.

The strange thing is that after resuming from hibertate, it hibernates again and after resuming from stand by, it standy again.  So...the failure have relation with the last mode used.

Any other thing that started with that is that the system want to eject the DVDROM drive with no apparent reason. After "software ejecting" it, I need to restart to let windows find it again.

I would appreciate any help.

Marcelo

Monday, August 4, 2008 5:40 PM
  • I have the same problem with 2 laptops(nec p550 and IBM t60). Both laptops run xp and the server has PP1 and if they resume from hibernate, they immediately go into standby. The option to disable 'wake this computer for backup' doesn't change much. I hope they'll find a solution, or I have to search for alternative software.

Friday, August 22, 2008 11:11 AM
  • I too have this same problem. Has a fixed been discovered? Thanks.
    • Edited by rt1212121 Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:23 AM
  • I too would like to know if there is any progress with the issue that when I boot up my Motion LE1600 from hibirnation, it will then go into stand by mode. This is not the problem where the computer will not hibernate after a backup. It only happens when the WHS Connecter service is running. I realize that it is a pain, but it doesn't harm anything. It would just be nice to be able to boot my tablet and start to use it, instead of having to relog into it after it come out of stand by.
    Thanks,
    Ted
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:49 AM
  • I experience this issue with three client machines with totally different HW. So I believe it's unlikely to be a BIOS issue. However, all of them run Windows XP SP3. All of them are configured to not wake up for back-up.

My home server has PP1 installed.

Today, I encountered multiple drops to stand-by after hibernate in a row for the first time (before it only happened once after waking up from hibernation). This is getting ever more annoying, and a fix would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Hi,

I have two laptops, an IBM R31 (old P3) and a newish Lenovo C something.  Both running XP SP3 with latest connector.  WHS is PP1 with all other Windows updates.

Both laptops often continually suspend after resuming.  The cycle can usually be broken by ejecting the CD ROM at a certain point, but often it's quicker to just power cycle.

This is really annoying.  I can't understand why there is no MS KB article for it - and indeed, no KB section for WHS in general?

MS - would appreciate an update on this issue, quick Google suggests there are loads of people suffering with this.

Thanks 
    Monday, November 17, 2008 12:16 PM
  • I have a very similar problem with my desktop. I typically hibernate my XP Pro SP3 desktop via the sleep key on the keyboard when done for the day. I have the backup time set to during the evening when I'm normally have the computer on (which is most nights). When it's on backups work fine.

My problem is when it's hibernating it will wake up, start to load the desktop, pretend to go into standby and turn off (not hibernate or standby). I was able to watch the whole process yesterday: I watched it automatically wake, Windows desktop starting up, no popup that a backup was about to start, screen that it's preparing to standby and then shut off. The desktop was nowhere near finished starting up when the standby/shutdown starts. There's nothing in the WHS console to indicate that a backup was attempted and I've not been able to find anything in the WHS logs (although I may not have been looking in the right place(s)).

As I said the sleep button will put it into hibernation. If I change the button to standby instead it goes into standby as expected. I can also use command line utilities to hibernate or standby.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just turn off the option to wake this PC. Since I'm already not getting a backup on those days I'm not loosing a backup but am loosing the whole start/standby/shutdown problem.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 6:05 PM
  • I have started another thread for this issue, so hope you will all add your experiences there as well.  The thread is http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/4b7d0232-8451-4032-acee-5eed2e28c9c3/

I share everyone's frustration on this issue and am determined to find a solution.

Pete

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:14 PM