Impossible to convert from FAT32 to NTFS for Backup config RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello everyone Smile

I have formatted me comp not long ago, and decided to setup the backup with One Live Care.

It obviously tells me to convert my external HDD from FAT32 to NTFS.

Problem is that it won't do it. It says it couldn't complete. I've tried a few times, but it won't work at all.

As far as I saw, the backup target is G: and no problems with that, it gets recognized properly.

Could the problem be that my external HDD already has quite a lot of saved files in it?

I am, at the moment, transferring all my files into my comp second HDD to be able to format properly to NTFS.

My external HDD is mounted on G:

Does anyone get the same problem, starting to get a bit crazy on this.

Thanks for your help Smile

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:36 PM

Answers

• Personally, I don't care for converting a volume from FAT to NTFS as it can cause problems. I suspect that it needs a fair amount of free space to perform the conversion, so your workaround of copying/moving the files from the drive and then formatting the drive as NTFS is the best solution.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:58 AM

All replies

• Personally, I don't care for converting a volume from FAT to NTFS as it can cause problems. I suspect that it needs a fair amount of free space to perform the conversion, so your workaround of copying/moving the files from the drive and then formatting the drive as NTFS is the best solution.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:58 AM
  • I'm not sure free space on the external drive is the issue. I'm having the exact same problem, and my 1 TB drive has 762 GB free! Maybe it needs lots of room on the internal hard drive?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:48 PM