Restore a client Non RAID PC to a RAID0 Configuration. RRS feed

• Question

• Would it work? I would like to try a RAID0 set up on one my PC's but I would like to do it the lazy wy i.e. set up the necessary drives in RAID0 and then restore the PC from the non raid back up on WHS.

TIA,

Colin

Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:25 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys for your time and input to my query. It seems my wishful thinking was just that and that there is little advantage to be gained but possibly a lot of pain to be endured. Thanks once again.

Colin

• Marked as answer by corkyboy Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:14 AM

All replies

• If it's (true) hardware RAID this could work. If it's software RAID (like the "RAID" found on many consumer motherboards) it will most likely fail. For soft RAID you probably can:

1. Install appropriate RAID drivers for your RAID solution

2. Connect current OS hdd to RAID port or set current port to RAID mode

3. Boot, OS will probably do some installation / configuration

4. Add second disk to RAID controller, reboot and configure RAID array from soft RAID utility in OS

Please note this is a very general description of the process, it may not work for all RAID controllers and there may be some serious pitfalls, worst being loss of your current OS install.

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Also you might be able to get away with loading the RAID Drivers during the start of the recovery process.
    --
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Also you might be able to get away with loading the RAID Drivers during the start of the recovery process.
    --

I would expect this to result in an unbootable system.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Hence the word 'might' - it depends on if those drivers are already in the image that is to be restored.

--
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Windows Home Server's client backup isn't designed to be used for hardware migration, so there's nothing in the product which will match up drivers etc. As a result, when you attempt to boot your computer on the RAID 0 array, it will almost certainly bluescreen. You can try installing your RAID drivers without the array, then backing up again and restoring to a RAID 0 array, but there's no guarantee that will work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Perhaps you should skip the whole idea; IMO running a system on a striped array is a bad idea. Single disk failure will result in unusable system, recovery will probably not be easy if possible at all. Performance gain will be very small, probably barely noticeable.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Thanks guys for your time and input to my query. It seems my wishful thinking was just that and that there is little advantage to be gained but possibly a lot of pain to be endured. Thanks once again.

Colin

• Marked as answer by corkyboy Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:14 AM