Are you having trouble setting up WHS2011? Remote Web Access, Router setup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am setting up WHS 2011 and have run into almost all the problems. Searched forums and blogs endlessly but found some solutions. Thought I'd post my trials here for others.

1. My ISP (Telus) blocks ports 80 and 443 needed to set up remote web access. I used port forwarding in my router to forward 480 to 80 and 4443 to 443. Accessing the server remotely then looks like https://myserver.homeserver.com:4443/remote.

2. WHS setup could not find my router which is Linksys E2000 wireless. Tried almost everything until I got a message that there may be 2 routers in my network. Thought occurred to me that maybe the wired and wireless components were acting as 2 routers. I turned off (disabled) the wireless part of the router and WHS could then find the router. I then turned the wireless back on.

I can now access my server remotely. 

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:39 PM

All replies

• So I thought I was on the home stretch....Except I when I tried to install the connector software on a couple of clients I got the error message something like " Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect again." Did more searching then found the answerr on the Vail beta forum.

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

I did the regedit and the connector software installed on both machines. (Another blog suggested regeditting another area. I'll refind the link if someone needs another solution)

Now I'm having problems getting the media streaming to work throught the redirected ports. I can stream to my I-phone but streaming to a remote computer seems to hang. I'll let you know when I solve that problem.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:58 AM