CRM 2011: Using Xrm.Utility.openEntityForm to pass in both the formid and a parameter... breaks the parameter. RRS feed

• Question

• When I send in the form id, the logic works fine but parameter_0 stops working.  If I do not send in the formid, parameter_0 works.  Any idea if I need to adjust my parameter list on the form when I add use the formid to load a given form?

I may have just introduced an error at some point in my code, but from the looks of it, using the formid seems to mess up my parameter's.

Do I need to do something in the form's parameter settings when using the formid like this?  I need to pass in both the formid and the guid of a parent entity, as I have multiple forms for the child entity and I need to use JavaScript to control which one is loaded, but I need to the guid of the parent to perform various logic on the newly opened form and access the parent entity.

This is firing via a ribbon button.  loanId is the guid of the parent entity that is captured when the button is clicked.  Works fine for a single form for the child entity, but doesn't work when using two forms like this.  It seems to break the parameter that I am passing in.  Do I need to adjust the parameter list on the form to account for the formid?

var parameters = {};
        parameters["formid"] = "2E4E9CB6-74D2-4EFA-877F-35D2140D6AAF";    
        parameters["parameter_0"] = loanId;
        Xrm.Utility.openEntityForm("new_hbc", null, parameters);

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Doublecheck that parameter_0 is allowed for form with mentioned identifier. Seems that it is not.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Do you mean in regards to the type?  I have it set to unique identifier.  Is that the correct open to pass a guid?  If I recall correctly, that is what worked in the past, but I might be wrong here.

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:20 PM
  • I mean a little bit other thing:

1. Seems that you've added mentioned parameter_0 parameter to a form.

2. Seems that you have 2 (or even more forms) because you are trying to open a form based on formid.

My assumption is following:

1. You've added parameter_0 to form (let's call it 1) which has an id different then "2E4E9CB6-74D2-4EFA-877F-35D2140D6AAF".

2. You haven't added parameter_0 to form that has id "2E4E9CB6-74D2-4EFA-877F-35D2140D6AAF" (form 2).

When you are trying to open form2 form with parameter_0 custom parameter opening fails. That's why I wrote in previous reply:

Doublecheck that parameter_0 is allowed for form with mentioned identifier. Seems that it is not.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Thanks.  I am following you now.  I did confirm both forms are setup to allow the parameter.  However, I think I just realized what I am doing wrong.

How do you pull in the parameter's into your JavaScript?  I was passing it in through a form_load event as a parameter list Form_Load(parameter_0).  But it seems that they are query strings, not parameter list.  So I have to pull it from a the query strings.  I guess previously I had it pulling from the query strings and but here I tried to pull it form the form_load function as a parameter. 

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by jonrothlander Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Nice!  Hadn't seen that yet.  Thanks for the suggestion.

It's working by pulling it from the query string.

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:08 PM