File Corrupted Under PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• This is a just a preliminary notification of a file corruption on WHS PP1. The file in question was a Password Safe database file (one of the more important files on my computer!). A few days ago, I copied and pasted a folder containing the database file into my user folder on WHS. The user folder was set to duplicate on the server. I then ran Password Safe (version 3.10), and pointed it at the new database location. The database opened without problem. I opened the file with password safe on at least one other occasion I remember, and added an entry to the database. Today, Password Safe reported that it could not open the file. I tried copying the database file to my client hard drive, but still no joy, it appears to be corrupt. A copy still on my client hard drive that had never been copied to the server was fine. Note that I have never experienced corruption of the database file before in a few years of using the program.

I am going to copy the database to the server again to see if the problem occurs again.

I have already submitted a bug report regarding an issue where one computer was not being backed up after PP1. Backups of this computer proceeded normally again after I initiated a manual backup. The only other change I have made to the server was an alteration to the clients registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WHS\Transport\TraceMask, made yesterday at the request of Microsoft in response to the reported backup issue.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:48 AM

All replies

• Did you file a bug report on this issue?  with your logs from your home server?

Does Password Safe support storing their files on a file server across a LAN connection?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I will file a bug report with logs, but I am first trying to see if I can repeat the problem.

With regard to Password Safe supporting opening files over LAN; I can't find any information on this. Note though, that at first it had no problems opening and correctly reading the file from the server. Then the file suddenly became corrupted. Copying the file back to the client confirmed that the file was indeed corrupted, and it wasn't just PS not being able to open it across the LAN. Whether PS itself could corrupt the file when attempting to access it across a LAN, I don't know.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:24 PM