none
Forced update of MS Live Messenger ver 8.1 on winXP 64 bit system

Question

• Well,  today when I was logging into my messenger, I got a message that I need to update to a newer version of the messenger.
    But the problem is when I update it says that this new version of messenger is not support my system. (guess because it is 64 bit)

Do anybody know a good solution? Or do I need to use a product which is not Microsoft made?

// Patrik
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:40 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem. Can't even use it now.

I also checked that the update is not yet for XP 64bit. Someone in the team must have thought of all OS for this update.

Another test hole again!!!

"Operating system: Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (32-bit edition only), Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit editions), Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit editions), or Windows Server 2008."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just tried a standalone install. It finally installed.

http://download.live.com

Tried wlsetup-custom.exe...didn't work
    Tried wlsetup-all.exe...didn't work
    Tried wlsetup-web.exe...finally worked
    • Proposed as answer by Easy Go Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:09 PM
    • Edited by Easy Go Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Is there no people from Microsoft who reading these posts on this forum?

I need a solution on this, now please.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Well,  today when I was logging into my messenger, I got a message that I need to update to a newer version of the messenger.
    But the problem is when I update it says that this new version of messenger is not support my system. (guess because it is 64 bit)

Do anybody know a good solution? Or do I need to use a product which is not Microsoft made?

// Patrik

I think Microsoft is being unfair and wanting to lose business buy not supporting products of theirs that people spend money on.  I think if they knew just how many people are going to stop buying their products because of this they would rethink this.  I just built a new pc with an amd 64 bit dual core processor and I bought xp 64 bit os so that I could utilize all 4 memory slots as I am a gamer. There is such a huge gaming community accross the world that is outraged over this not to mention all my friends and family. Microsoft will not force me to buy another OS before I am ready unless it is to buy from someone other than Microsoft.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Hi, Folks -
    1) This isn't a forum for Messenger; it's for Windows Live Writer, a blogging tool.  Yes, they're both part of the Essentials package, but I would bet they are supported by different teams.  In other words, anyone from Microsoft who does support THIS forum probably knows about the same amount about Messenger as your average power user, at best.  Now, if you ask about Windows Live Writer, that's a different story ;-)
    2) The Microsoft forum for Live Messenger is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger - I'm betting your questions will have better success there, since the people looking at that forum are actually focused on the topic of Messenger.
    3) Forums are typically meant for user-to-user interaction plus conversations with members of the team working on the specific product.  It is not a primary support mechanism, and you certainly should not expect quick responses in forums like this.  You want quick response, call product support, or find an email address.  Forums are usually not monitored 24x7 by product teams at any company, and often are only checked a couple of times a week.    

Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. I have before I posted on this forum, spent maybe 2 hour of searching around at MS website after a email or some kind of support. So it is not easy to find a email.

This is so typical sertan companies, they do not want people to email then when it comes to support issues. Just send you around and around at the FAQ's and things.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:44 PM
  • yea, mine done the same i have tried everything but it just wont work mmaybe you need to delete your first one to go onto another one but im not sure i will try now.... and it wont even let me delete it. if you do end up getting on it could u plz reply  2 me... thanx thanx =]
    Friday, November 06, 2009 8:41 AM
  • i tried that but becoz im on a school laptop it was blocked i am absolutely lost i just cant get on my msn... =[
    Friday, November 06, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Dear everyone Lady and Gentleman
    if you want to use old version 8.0/8.1/8.5 with msnplus and webcam chatting
    try to do follow this site : http://www.phuketbutler.com/node/1072
    it working on XP/VISTA/7 Confirmed 100 percent!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Chawalit I.
    IT Consultant
    Phuket Butler Co., LTD
    “We Serve You Everything”
    Facebook :   http://www.facebook.com/chawalit
    Phuket Property: http://www.phuketbutler.com
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 1:49 PM