slow transfer speed HP mediasmart server & windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, 

Here's my issue:  

-Have an HP EX-470 Mediasmart Server with gigabit

-router is gigabit, all cables are cat6, using with mac mini (also gigabit) with windows 7

When I copy files from the mini to the server it starts at 60MB/s or higher but quickly drops to 20-30MB/s.  Sometimes it starts at 20MB/s and doesn't go up much more.

I recently moved, using all the same hardware, before the move I was getting a constant 65MB/s....but now Win7 can't hold the speed.

I haven't installed anything new on either the server or the mini, all same hardware and cables.

Any idea what is making Win7 drop the speed?  Only thing I can think of is that the disks are pretty full on the server but still have about 200GB free on it.

I also tried changing the settings for flow control and jumbo frames on both server and mini, but no change.  transfer speed still drops to about 30MB/s.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• I would say you have pretty much answered your own question in that as the disks become more full fragementation becomes more of an issue and the slow down is seen as the disk hunts around to find available space.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:02 PM