Product Entity Security RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to implement two companies in a single instance of Dynamics CRM 2011 Online. Each company has their own inventory/product. The requirement is that a user should only see inventory for his/her company. Each company will be a separate Business Unit underneath a Parent Business Unit in Dynamics CRM 2011. However, the Product entity itself can only be configured as None or Organization for security purposes. Is that correct? Why is there no Business Unit option like most of the rest of the security components?

My test case...

Change the security privilege in the Salesperson security role in the Sales Tab, Product entity from None to Organization.

When I am logged in as a User in the Business Unit called "West", I create a new Product. Then, when I log in as a User in the Business Unit called "East" I can still see the Product I created with the User belonging to the "West" Business Unit. This does not meet the requirement since the User belonging to the "East" should not be able to see the Product Created By a User from the "West" Business Unit.

What is the best practice for meeting this requirement?

CRM_Fan

CRM Fan
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:32 PM

Answers

• hi CRM fan

you are correct the product has organisation level access rights

not on business unit

There are other round about ways to implement this functionality that is to filter based on o BU

1) create a custom entity for product instead of using the out of box product entity and give this new product entity BU level Access rights

2) write a custom code in the plug in on retrieve message to Restrict the results based on BU

let us know if you need  further help

hope this helps

dkay

if the response answered your question, please take a minute and mark the response as an answer.

• Marked as answer by CRM_Fan Monday, November 28, 2011 9:09 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:46 PM