0xC004F050 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Have similar activiation issues - have tried many fixes displayed on this board but none seem to work.

Have used the cmd with admin rights and use slmgr -ipk etc

After trying all of the above I actually get the error code "0xC004F050"

Any ideas

Thanks

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 8:56 PM

Answers

• The error code above "typically" occurs when you try to install a Product Key that is intended for an edition of Vista other than the one installed.  Please email me (reizen at microsoft dot. com) with the edition/build of Vista you are using and the 5x5 Product key.  The product key is valuable information, I know.  My group is the team that designs/implements activation and generates the product keys.  I can check your 5x5 product key and determine if it matches up to the edition you have installed.  If you're not comfortable sending the product key, then check any correspondence (electronic/printed) that you may have received with the product key to see if the listed edition/build is the same as the one you have installed.  For example, you can't install a "Vista Ultimate" product key on Vista Home Premium...
    Wednesday, November 8, 2006 6:32 PM
  • Hi ansih

First off, there is a Support Doc: "You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation" at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573  That I believe is specific to your issue. Please follow the resolution portion of the doc.

If that does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps below. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Vista may require you to enter a Product Key (use the COA SLP key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) and Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

If you have any additional Validation or Activation issues, Please Be Sure To Create Your Own Thread

Do Not Post in other people's threads

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Hello cVegard,

If the resolution found in this thread did not resolve your issue, please create your own thread and include a Diagnostic Report and a description of the issue.

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4)    When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5)  Paste the Report into your newly created Thread.  

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:29 PM

All replies

• The error code above "typically" occurs when you try to install a Product Key that is intended for an edition of Vista other than the one installed.  Please email me (reizen at microsoft dot. com) with the edition/build of Vista you are using and the 5x5 Product key.  The product key is valuable information, I know.  My group is the team that designs/implements activation and generates the product keys.  I can check your 5x5 product key and determine if it matches up to the edition you have installed.  If you're not comfortable sending the product key, then check any correspondence (electronic/printed) that you may have received with the product key to see if the listed edition/build is the same as the one you have installed.  For example, you can't install a "Vista Ultimate" product key on Vista Home Premium...
    Wednesday, November 8, 2006 6:32 PM
  • I am having the same issue - I have Vista Business download from volume license site.  I don't see any option for changing my product key in my control panel.  I have MAK keys that were assigned for my volume Vista licenses.  when I try to use the administrative command prompt to enter my product key, I get error 0xC004F050.   If I try to activate I get an error stating DNS name not present?  I suspect that I somehow need to tell vista to activate directly with Microsoft ?  and I need to get my MAK installed.

Looking for advice.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:20 PM
  • Never mind, the key has to be entered with the hyphens.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:24 PM
  • Hello,

I have gotten the error code 0xc004f050 and it is verified as invalid.  The laptop was used since the end of June '07 and now I get this.  What went wrong and what do I do now?  I don't get much help from Gateway.  Someone's got to know something...  I don't believe the answer is to restart the computer from day one.  Can anyone help me?  I would appreciate any help at all.  Thank you. Sue  email is Suzy-Q@hvc.rr.com.  Thanks.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting the same error message. I made some updates and then restarted my vista home basic, it then asked for product key saying that the key is invalid. I entered it and then it gives this error code 0xc004f050 and that my product is invalid. I am using this laptop since august 2007. I am now unable to login my laptop. Please help me with this. Send any suggestions to anishbabu.m@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Anish
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:27 AM
  • Hello,

Please create your own thread and provide a Diagnostic Report.

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Hi Darin,

This is the diagnostic report. Thanks in advance . Please let me know if you need something else. 

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00061
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {3A85E4DF-E697-41AE-96B4-72C67CB895CA}(3)
    Is Admin: No
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{3A85E4DF-E697-41AE-96B4-72C67CB895CA}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WQD8Q</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00061</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3667503905-1576599482-969244896</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC    </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.22     </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070817000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>47323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>6D8DA02D903B771</Val><Hash>OONmgMDi2ZGK1QKWW27WE80H4ew=</Hash><Pid>81599-952-6452031-65482</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:18 PM
  • Hi ansih

First off, there is a Support Doc: "You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation" at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573  That I believe is specific to your issue. Please follow the resolution portion of the doc.

If that does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps below. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Vista may require you to enter a Product Key (use the COA SLP key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) and Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

If you have any additional Validation or Activation issues, Please Be Sure To Create Your Own Thread

Do Not Post in other people's threads

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:58 PM
  • lolololol awsome thanks much O_o darn me was worked bout 6 hours for validating
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Hi.

I suddenly got the same error message (0xC004F050) after installing some updates from Microsoft. But I was also unable to open the telehone activation dialog, because I had to close the activation dialog which was already there to open this telephone activation dialog. At the instant I closed the dialog Windows logged me off.

I tried all of the command prompt commands which is posted so far at this page but kept getting the same error.

This is the solution that worked for me:
    1. Start Windows with only Command Line support (Might also work in Safe Mode) by pressing F8 just before the Windows loading screen shows up.
    2. On the cmd that shows up type: start explorer
    3. Close the cmd.
    4. Open System Restore from the Start menu and restore from an earlier date. (A date before you got the error-message)
    When I booted again after doing this, everything worked like a charm, just had to validate Windows.
    I turned of Windows Automatic Update just to be sure it won't happen again.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,
    Vegard
    • Edited by cVegard Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:52 PM spelling
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Hello cVegard,

If the resolution found in this thread did not resolve your issue, please create your own thread and include a Diagnostic Report and a description of the issue.

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4)    When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5)  Paste the Report into your newly created Thread.  

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:29 PM