Previous Versions RRS feed

• Question

• How far back can you restore files or folders using the Previous Versions feature of shared folders?

If it is limited, can you change it so that it keeps a year worth of Previous Versions?

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:47 PM

Answers

•  Taylor Honsowetz wrote:

Yes, you can keep a years worth of backups for a computer, but can you have a years worth of backups for shared folders on the server? I want a way to recover data from the shared folders from the server after long periods of time: 6-12 mounths.

The retention period isn't time-based; there's a disk quota on the total size of shadow copies. However, in a home environment, most files will not change once placed on the server (for example, media files), so the default quotas will last for quite a while, I'm sure. I don't believe you can change the quota through the normal interface; in that interface all of the shadow copy schedules I see are marked as disabled, so I suspect Drive Extender actually, umm, "drives" that feature.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:01 AM

All replies

• This all depends on how much storage space you have on your server, how much data changes and how often.  I'm not in from of my WHS at the moment, so I can't check, but in W2k3 you could change the "Previous Versions" settings by right clicking on the drive in WHS.  I'm not sure if that option is there in WHS.  In W2k3 you can configure it to keep as many "Previous Versions" as you would like, just know that the more you have, the more disk space it will take up.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:16 PM
  • If you're using Windows Home Server you can always keep a years worth of backups.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 12:34 AM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    If you're using Windows Home Server you can always keep a years worth of backups.

Yes, you can keep a years worth of backups for a computer, but can you have a years worth of backups for shared folders on the server? I want a way to recover data from the shared folders from the server after long periods of time: 6-12 mounths.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:02 AM
  •  Taylor Honsowetz wrote:

The retention period isn't time-based; there's a disk quota on the total size of shadow copies. However, in a home environment, most files will not change once placed on the server (for example, media files), so the default quotas will last for quite a while, I'm sure. I don't believe you can change the quota through the normal interface; in that interface all of the shadow copy schedules I see are marked as disabled, so I suspect Drive Extender actually, umm, "drives" that feature.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:01 AM