none
Cannot install Connector on Windows 10

Question

• I have been having difficulties with Connector on my desktop PC since I upgraded to Windows 10.  Initially it was installed, but backup would not run (the service would not start).  I therefore unisntalled the Connector software, and am attempting to re-install it.  Having reset the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2" in Regedit, I am getting a different error:

"The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error.  Click close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer"

I have checked the version of ,NET that I am running (as this appears to be an issue for some) and am running 4.6 RC.  Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Thanks,

Jon

Friday, September 04, 2015 11:53 AM

Answers

• Are you installing the Connector from the version on the Server?

All updates on the Server?

UEFI Hotfix applied to the server?

Client & Server rebooted?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by JonWill Saturday, September 05, 2015 4:39 PM
    Friday, September 04, 2015 3:35 PM

All replies

• Are you installing the Connector from the version on the Server?

All updates on the Server?

UEFI Hotfix applied to the server?

Client & Server rebooted?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by JonWill Saturday, September 05, 2015 4:39 PM
    Friday, September 04, 2015 3:35 PM
  • Thanks for this - I am installing from the server, and no, I do not believe that I have applied any updates to it.  I'll dive in and have a look!  Will thse appear uynder updates, or do I have to search MS support for the hotfix?

J

Friday, September 04, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Update history should be shown in Control Panel. You need to be up to date including the UEFI Hotfix:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781272

Friday, September 04, 2015 4:42 PM
  • I will try this next week. I had a quick go yesterday, but ran out of time. Thanks for the help so far! J
    Saturday, September 05, 2015 4:39 PM
  • OK, I have now installed all updates and the UEFI hotfix, and am getting the same error message.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help to date!

J

Monday, September 07, 2015 7:16 AM
  • Hmm! Sorry, run out of ideas.

Monday, September 07, 2015 1:53 PM
  • It would be great if anyone had any ideas - I am going to have a go at this tomorrow - one thought I had was to install the Windows Server Essentials Connector instead - would this work?

J

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:23 PM
  • No, as long as your server is up to date, you have the UEFI Hotfix installed on the Server and you are installing the connector by using a browser to go to:

http://<server_name>:65510/connect/

there should be no problem! In the past, I have seen similar error messages and rebooting both client and server got rid of the problem.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Thanks for this.  I was full of hope as the url I have been using has not had the ":65510" section in it.  However, I get the same error message.  I have rebooted both server and PC.  Any more thoughts? Anyone?!?

J

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 3:29 PM