Difference b/w online and on-premises versions of the project server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Can you please let me know the Difference b/w online and on-premises versions of the project server 2013?

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Following on from Barbara's sound advice I will try and add a bit more.

While they are both Project Server 2013, it is best to think of them as two different products. I have tried to list a few advantages and disadvantages below:

Project Online Advantages:

• Maintained by Microsoft
    • latest updates / fixes applied on a regular basis
    • Microsoft handle backup / business continuity etc

Project Online Disadvantages/limitations:

• Limited reporting compared to on-premise. No OLAP cube, no direct database access - Odata feed is used instead. No SSRS available
    • No administrative backup / restore for projects, resources, config etc - no project versions
    • No PSI access - you now have CSOM for Project Server, i believe there are a few limitations over the PSI at the moment

Please note, there are more advantages / disadvantages but this just highlights a few.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:37 AM
  • Hi Sumit,

only one main difference come into my mind and others may extend the list. With reporting options, you can't use Reporting Services in Project Online, but you can with On-Premise. And Odata reports refresh in Online automatically using Excel Services, but need to be refreshed on-promise by opening report in Excel.

In functionality, I am not aware of any major differencies.

And an advantage of Online: you don't need to take care of any cumulative updates.

Regards
    Barbara 

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:10 AM
  • I agree with Paul and Barbara. One more point which is kind of advantage and disadvantage is Click to run feature.

This feature works with Project Online. To use the same feature on-prem, either you need to deploy App V or you need to use Office 365 Cals for Project Pro.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Sumit,

only one main difference come into my mind and others may extend the list. With reporting options, you can't use Reporting Services in Project Online, but you can with On-Premise. And Odata reports refresh in Online automatically using Excel Services, but need to be refreshed on-promise by opening report in Excel.

In functionality, I am not aware of any major differencies.

And an advantage of Online: you don't need to take care of any cumulative updates.

Regards
    Barbara 

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for Help.

Please make me clear about this point which you mentioned above:

"you can't use Reporting Services in Project Online, but you can with On-Premise"...

It would be appreciated.

Regards

Sumit 

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hi there,

Following on from Barbara's sound advice I will try and add a bit more.

While they are both Project Server 2013, it is best to think of them as two different products. I have tried to list a few advantages and disadvantages below:

Project Online Advantages:

• Maintained by Microsoft
    • latest updates / fixes applied on a regular basis
    • Microsoft handle backup / business continuity etc

Project Online Disadvantages/limitations:

• Limited reporting compared to on-premise. No OLAP cube, no direct database access - Odata feed is used instead. No SSRS available
    • No administrative backup / restore for projects, resources, config etc - no project versions
    • No PSI access - you now have CSOM for Project Server, i believe there are a few limitations over the PSI at the moment

Please note, there are more advantages / disadvantages but this just highlights a few.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:37 AM
  • I agree with Paul and Barbara. One more point which is kind of advantage and disadvantage is Click to run feature.

This feature works with Project Online. To use the same feature on-prem, either you need to deploy App V or you need to use Office 365 Cals for Project Pro.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Thanks to all for Help.....
    Friday, April 5, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Sumit,

Here is the new update on Project Online and OData reports

http://blogs.office.com/b/project/archive/2013/03/29/project-online-and-excel-web-app-cloud-data-improves-reporting.aspx

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hi Harish,

Thanks for the Knowledge sharing, its really helpful for new EPM Consultant like me to grasp more knowledge on Project Online 2013.

I would be very thankful to you if you keep on sharing these type of new updates to me as I'm still learning EPM deployment.

Thanks and Regards,

Sumit Pandey

e2e projects pvt. ltd, Bangalore

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:26 PM