Restore full image of computer RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server with Power pack 3

ASUSTEK Mini

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0

Is it possible to restore the full image or just file by file?

ie can we go back in time if OS becomes corrupted for the client WIndows 7 Computer?

Or can we just recover file by file?

Dennis Krohn

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you have choices:

You can download the latest Windows Home Server Client Restore CD, extract the ISO and burn it to a CD, boot the system to recover from it and (assuming the proper network drivers are available) you can initiate a restore of one or more volumes of the client.

You can attach a disk as secondary drive to another client PC and run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from Program Files\Windows Home Server to accomplish the same thing without having to find working network drivers first.

Or you can restore single files or folders.

A 4th choice, which would not involve Windows Home Server and often be faster in case the disk is not completely lost, would be trying System Restore and Previous Versions features of Windows 7.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:35 AM
  • I assume you're talking about what the backup functionality actually supports. This is documented in the console help files.

By design, Windows Home Server allows "bare metal" backup/restore as well as single file restore. In both cases, you can choose *which* backup you restore from, as far back in time as Windows Home Server retains backups (your retention policy is found in the console).

As Olaf has pointed out, System Restore and Previous Versions (built into recent versions of Windows) may offer a better, faster option for an issue which has occurred only recently.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:21 PM
  • 1) What driver do we use for NIC?

2) Error

"Restore Wizard

Find the Windows Home Server Manually

A Network error has occurred.

Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on."

Yes downloaded the CD and successfully used ISOtoUSB to create a bootable USB

Get to the find computer and cannot find the Home Server, I think it is named TSMINI.    Can't see in the Console where to find the name.

Can ping the server and browse to the Console from another machine on the same subnet (using single switch).   WHS Cd successfuly found the NIC GB Realtek RTL8168/8 111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Realtek LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad Edge 14, Edge 15, Edge E40, Edge E50, L412, L512

Dennis Krohn

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:47 PM