Unable to see/connect WHS with Atheros AR5B93 WLAN Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Using the Atheros AR5B93 installed in my Acer Aspire 5942G notebook (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit) , I'm unable to connect to or even see/ping my WHS. Replacing the Atheros with an Intel 5100 fixes the problem!

My network has the notebook connected via WLAN (WPA2-AES) to the Buffalo WZR2-G300N router (with the latest firmware) onto which the WHS is connected via LAN and a fixed IP address. All other notebooks, etc. have no problem connecting via WLAN to the WHS. From the notebook, I see also all other computers connected via WLAN, except the WHS, and have Internet access via the router.

Just updated the Atheros driver to version 7.7.0.456, which is Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility listed, but no success.

In other forums, there are several articles on problems with the Atheros WLAN adapters but none providing a solution to my problem.

By the way, how can a device having this problem get a Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility listing??

Thanks a lot for any help!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:43 PM

All replies

• Think this is a question for Acer as it relates to the laptop, which is where the problem lies.

--
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.

But how do you explain that an Intel WLAN-Adapter in place of the Atheros one works fine?

Also, the drivers for both adapters, Intel and Atheros, are not provided by Acer but by the adapter manufacturers themselves.
    This, in my opinion, rules out the Acer hardware slot where the adapter sits.

Thanks anyway!

Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Possibly the Atheros Mini PCI card is defective? Possibly the drivers are defective? Possibly there's an incompatibility between the hardware or drivers and the Windows Home Server connector? Do you have network issues on that laptop with any other application?

Al's point is that the problem is off your server, on your laptop, and you've already localized the issue to the Atheros Mini PCI card or it's drivers. I think you have already reached the practical solution, which is to replace the Atheros card with one that works with Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Hi Ken and thanks for your suggestions!

In the meantime, I researched the problem further and found the culprit: Buffalo WZR2-G300N router! All the symptoms were misleading. I had first tried to reset the router to factory default and reconfigured it but no success. As the router was the only item in the chain not having been replaced yet, I gave it a try. Once replaced by another router at hand, a LogiLink WL0028A, everything works fine. Now I can also use the Atheros WLAN without restrictions. Even the LogiLink officially featuring uPnP, it couldn't be configured from the WHS and I will have to manually change the port forwarding.

This again shows that sometimes logic alone doesn't lead to success....

Thanks again for all your help!

Friday, April 2, 2010 7:58 AM
  • When I uninstalled and reinstalled as suggested latest version of the AR5b93 Atheros driver in 5542G Acer, no wireless connection was possible, kept getting the unexpected error msg. I salvaged the situation restoring a registry backup. It is lamentable that neither Microsoft nor Atheros are able or willing to provide a solution.
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:11 AM