scheduled bills RRS feed

• Question

• I have money 10 on a win7 64 bit machine.  In scheduled bills. it only shows the current month,  on most entrys, but not all.  Seems like it happened overnight. Has anyone had this happen to them?
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:30 AM

All replies

• I don't have Money 10 (aka Money 2002?) to check this, but my recollection is that Money has always shown just a single upcoming instance of all recurring transactions in the Bill & Deposits screen.  In contrast, Money should show all instances in the cash flow forecast and in the calendar.  If you have instances that are missing from the cash flow forecast or calendar I would try a quick file repair to see if that helps.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:50 PM
  • thanks very much for answering.  i did make a mistake.  i have money 2004.   but in bills & deposits i have some entries that are dated to 2016.  at one point, all entries showed well into the future.  so now i have to ask,  whats a quick file repair?
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Just to be clear;

If you have a bill or deposit that occurs monthly, then you should see next month's occurrence and only that one.  For a bill that is paid yearly, you would also see only the next occurrence, but that might be a year away.  But in all cases, the "Bills Summary" screen only shows one occurrence of each bill.

In contrast, if you are in the "Bills Summary" screen and click on "Forecast Cash Flow" in the list on the left of the screen, you will see a new screen with your cash flow in a graph and a list of all the future transactions that you have scheduled.

I believe that that is the normal behavior for all versions of Money.

To answer your specific question, a "Quick File Repair" will scan your Money file for problems and fix them.  This doesn't do any harm and may help to resolve issues.  You can find this by selecting File>Repair Money File.

You will see that File>Repair Money file also offers a "Standard File Repair".  This is a more in-depth repair, but it has the disadvantage of deleting any customized reports that you may have created.  If you want to try this "Standard File Repair", I suggest doing it on a copy of your .mny file to be sure that it fixes the problem because re-creating reports may be a lot of work.

Bill Becker

Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:52 AM
  • thank you very much Bill.  if this is normal, I'll live with it.  I just remember it being different.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:10 PM
  • In Money 8 UK (2000), the Bills & Deposits view ahead is 1 month by default, with the option to choose 2, 3, 6 or 12 months going forward.

If you go to "Set up bills and deposits" and 'right click' on any of your scheduled transactions one option is "Go to next occurence" ~ if you do that and make a written note of what you see, you should find your missing entries; perhaps if you 'right click' to 'Edit' and then choose 'Scheduling Options' you will find that the 'frequency' of some of your regular transactions is not what you really want them to be.

Hopefully your Money 10 is similar. 

Teabag  

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:30 AM
  • Teabag.

Many thanks for this information!  I did not realize that some older versions of Money (maybe just UK versions?) have this option.  Apparently it's one of those features that was removed from Money in one of the yearly "improvements" sometime in the early 2000s.

Bill Becker

Monday, October 20, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Bill,

As you may imagine, the reason I have stuck with Money 8 UK is that I was deeply unimpressed by the yearly "improvements".

Whilst my "Bills Summary" may show more than one future transaction (if I look 2, 3, 6 or 12 months ahead) ~ I am NOT permitted to change any line other than the NEXT occurence; attempting to do so throws up a warning window reminding me that there is a future occurence with an earlier due date and I'm given the option to switch to it. Seems perfectly logical.

Cash-flow forecast and calendar work as you say, in my old version.

Teabag

Monday, October 20, 2014 3:40 PM