Poor Performance - Full System Drive Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• My recently rebuilt WHS was humming along nicely until recently and I suspect it's because my HDDs are getting quite full.  My available space is being reported as 1.22TB,  whereas my system drive is 1.36TB.  Am I correct in assuming that my new transfer problems are because my system drive is being used more than previously, so my WHS 'OS' is slowing down because the system drive is doing other tasks?

If so, if a add a new 2TB drive, will drive balancer automatically move files off the system drive or will I need to use a tool like this one?  http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/6466-drive-balancer-app-now-available/

If my assumptions are correct, I think the advice given to use a big drive as the system drive is wrong as you really want all of your storage outside of the system drive to resist the temptation to store files on the system drive.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:12 AM

All replies

• My recently rebuilt WHS was humming along nicely until recently and I suspect it's because my HDDs are getting quite full.  My available space is being reported as 1.22TB,  whereas my system drive is 1.36TB.  Am I correct in assuming that my new transfer problems are because my system drive is being used more than previously, so my WHS 'OS' is slowing down because the system drive is doing other tasks?  
    I've never noticed that.

If so, if a add a new 2TB drive, will drive balancer automatically move files off the system drive or will I need to use a tool like this one?  http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/6466-drive-balancer-app-now-available/

First, it's called Drive Extender (not Drive Balancer).  And no, it doesn't balance anything.  The data will only move from a hard drive when absolutely necessary (i.e. removing a hard drive from the storage pool).

If my assumptions are correct, I think the advice given to use a big drive as the system drive is wrong as you really want all of your storage outside of the system drive to resist the temptation to store files on the system drive.

Friday, August 20, 2010 4:08 AM