Uninstalling WHS PP3 beta... The system cannot find the path specified. Restarting please wait. RRS feed

• Question

• So I ran through the steps for the Beta removal, only I ran the cmd from a dos prompt.

D:\shares\Software\Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Beta 1>uninstall
    Uninstalling WHS PP3 beta...
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    Restarting, please wait...

Got the above. When I went to add remove programs the source was still there so I clicked remove. It simply removed it from the list of the installed updates.
    The sever settings all show at 6.0.2361.0.

When I try and run the updates I get no new updates available.

So I checked the uninstall.cmd. It simply looks for a folder %SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallKB968349$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.

The folder does not exist on my system.

Can I get an idea of the registry entries and legacy files that the system is looking for please?
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:10 PM changed "#" to "3" in subject
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:33 PM

All replies

• Did you remove all $NTUninstallKB######$ folders from your server to increase available disk space on C:? Once you have done that, there is normally no way to remove an update, manually or automatically, because that folder contains the files required to "roll back" the update.

I'm sorry to say that in all probability the only way to recover is going to be a server reinstallation/server recovery. Don't perform a new installation/factory reset; that will format all connected drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:30 PM
  • No I added additional space and did not delete any UninstallKB directories at any time.

I think you may be correct or live with the current stat while I build a better system. Currently P4 1gb ram with no SATA support. So the SATA card will only accept 1.5gps drives and not the more common 3Gps drives.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:19 PM
  • What are the version numbers reported in the Windows Home Server console, Settings tab, Resources pane?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:32 PM
  • 6.0.2361.0 next to each option

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2361.0

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:28 PM
  • You said that above. Sorry, I seem to fail at reading this morning...

Reinstallation is going to be your only option; without the $NTUninstall folder you can't downgrade from PP3 beta, and with PP3 beta installed you can't install PP3 RTM. So if you're planning to build a new server, just wait for that. :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:56 PM
  • HAve the same issues, failed uninstall seemed to remove th euninstall folder, yet still was showing in add/remove console. However no matter what I do I have the same versions..6.0.2361.0. Tried to reinstall and get a error that the update does not apply to installed system. this happen after the first two parts install from the beta, seems to be the KB968349-V1 that has the issue.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Any way to get the update without going through the console or is there just some regkey that will allow the update to apply?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:47 PM
  • I would hope so as I want the Power Pack 3 back.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:16 AM
  • So I ran through the steps for the Beta removal, only I ran the cmd from a dos prompt.

D:\shares\Software\Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Beta 1>uninstall
    Uninstalling WHS PP3 beta...
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    Restarting, please wait...

Got the above. When I went to add remove programs the source was still there so I clicked remove. It simply removed it from the list of the installed updates.
    The sever settings all show at 6.0.2361.0.

When I try and run the updates I get no new updates available.

So I checked the uninstall.cmd. It simply looks for a folder %SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallKB968349$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.

The folder does not exist on my system.

Can I get an idea of the registry entries and legacy files that the system is looking for please?
    $NtUninstallKB968349$ is a hidden folder.  Do you have Show hidden files and folders enabled?

Also, if you have an OEM license, a VM app, and the PP3 beta install files, you could install WHS in a VM, then keep installing all High Priority updates (and only those, do not install any Software, Optional updates) from the server desktop except for Windows Home Server Power Pack 3.  At that point, install the PP3 beta, reboot, then copy the $NtUninstallKB968349$ folder from your VM server to your real one, then run the uninstall script.  (Not exactly the quickest process, but it should work.  :)  )
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:22 PM
  • I have the same issue but I dont have the PP3 beta download anymore also (its gone from connect)
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:15 PM
  • So downloaded and installed a vm machine, after figuring all of that out I upgraded to PP2 and then ran my pp3 beta. Copied off the $NtUninstallKB968349$ folder onto my server and then ran the uninstall again. After reboot got the update shield and low and behold PP3 was ready to install. If you need the files hit me up b_g_g_l_a_s_e_r at msn.com. I have the uninstaller and the beta files.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:49 AM
  • dear bbglaser,
    i felt free to send an email to you.
    i´m afraid my whs will lose some of my valuable personal data due to the fact that after the unsuccessful deinstallation tring of pp3 beta and a reboot, i got those "file conflicts" error messages again although i activated folder replication to feel more secure (that"conflicts" had been the reason why i did a new installation on new harddiscs of my whs at about 2 month ago which lead me to enter the 9million digits at microsoft activation hotline multiple times !!!).
    @karyia21: i didn´t remove manually any uninstall folders manually too but it´s gone anyway. i really hope to get a stable system back.
    TIA, LX.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:14 PM
  • dear bbglaser,
    i felt free to send an email to you.
    i´m afraid my whs will lose some of my valuable personal data due to the fact that after the unsuccessful deinstallation tring of pp3 beta and a reboot, i got those "file conflicts" error messages again although i activated folder replication to feel more secure (that"conflicts" had been the reason why i did a new installation on new harddiscs of my whs at about 2 month ago which lead me to enter the 9million digits at microsoft activation hotline multiple times !!!).
    @karyia21: i didn´t remove manually any uninstall folders manually too but it´s gone anyway. i really hope to get a stable system back.
    TIA, LX.
    First, you should not ignore the File Conflict error messages.  They are the for a reason.  If you need help determining them, you should start by checking the FAQ post:  How do I resolve file conflicts, then post follow-up questions here if necessary.

As for requesting the files from some random person on the internet (no offense to bgglaser), that is a terrible idea.  You have absolutely no idea what he might have done to those files.  If you are unable to do the method I suggested above, you should do a Server Reinstallation.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Kariya:

Firstly,  i totally agree to you and i thank you for your warning. i just had the naive thought that here at microsoft forums the guys are more reliable than on common random forums on the web. i just wanted to give it a try and save time. for preserving my whs from vulnerability i of course have antivirus etc. implemented on the other hand unfortunately i´m not very familiar in setting up a VM on a W2k3 Server!
    could you suggest an appropriate VM tool for whs/win2k3 server which is free?
    another option could be, that microsoft would be so nice to offer just the mentioned files for manual deinstalltion to us!?!?!

Secondly: the shown file conflicts seem to me to have the same reason as they were before my terrible nightmare of reinstalling (i followed nearly the same tip as yours from another forum) - the reason as i think of it now was a buggy whs. in the meantime i did the chkdsk loop suggested here with no bad sectors etc. output but the errors disappeared which is the same as i had before the new installation as following:

history: after about 10 times trying to do a reinstallation which always failed showing up strange and different errors i bought 2 x 1TB discs just to not lose my data. i did a clean new installation, followed by multiple reboots because of various windows updates and copied my data back over network to the shares. it took me more than 5 days to do all those and after that i had more than just one telephony activation session because of my hardware changes!!! so you can probably imagine why i will try anything before running into the same nightmare as that days.
    just to mention: the connector always showed up "...file conflicts..." at my whs even after the new installation with new discs (!) from time to time. if i remember right, multiple guys mentioned this behaviour too and i followed the suggestions so that after installing the power packs the messages disappeared. unfortunately i didn´t remember which one exactly solved the "problem". The errors disappeared until i tried to deinstall the pp3 a few days ago, which lead me to above stated opinion.

thanks a lot, ys, LX.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Kariya:

Firstly,  i totally agree to you and i thank you for your warning. i just had the naive thought that here at microsoft forums the guys are more reliable than on common random forums on the web. i just wanted to give it a try and save time. for preserving my whs from vulnerability i of course have antivirus etc. implemented on the other hand unfortunately i´m not very familiar in setting up a VM on a W2k3 Server!
    could you suggest an appropriate VM tool for whs/win2k3 server which is free?

You don't have to install the VM app on your server (as a matter of fact, installing it on WHS is unsupported and not recommended anyway).  MS has Windows Virtual PC for 7 and Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 for Vista and XP, providing you have one of the "business" editions of those OSes (meaning Professional/Business or higher).  If not, you can try VirtualBox.

another option could be, that microsoft would be so nice to offer just the mentioned files for manual deinstalltion to us!?!?!

Secondly: the shown file conflicts seem to me to have the same reason as they were before my terrible nightmare of reinstalling (i followed nearly the same tip as yours from another forum) - the reason as i think of it now was a buggy whs. in the meantime i did the chkdsk loop suggested here with no bad sectors etc. output but the errors disappeared which is the same as i had before the new installation as following:

history: after about 10 times trying to do a reinstallation which always failed showing up strange and different errors i bought 2 x 1TB discs just to not lose my data. i did a clean new installation, followed by multiple reboots because of various windows updates and copied my data back over network to the shares. it took me more than 5 days to do all those and after that i had more than just one telephony activation session because of my hardware changes!!! so you can probably imagine why i will try anything before running into the same nightmare as that days.
    just to mention: the connector always showed up "...file conflicts..." at my whs even after the new installation with new discs (!) from time to time. if i remember right, multiple guys mentioned this behaviour too and i followed the suggestions so that after installing the power packs the messages disappeared. unfortunately i didn´t remember which one exactly solved the "problem". The errors disappeared until i tried to deinstall the pp3 a few days ago, which lead me to above stated opinion.

thanks a lot, ys, LX.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:24 PM
  • because i run win7 on an atom330/ion board the microsoft virtualization versions will unfortunately not work!
    windows virtual pc needs a VT (hardware virtualization) processor while virtual pc 2007 didn´t work on my win7 system.
    instead virtualbox is a solution - but doesn´t offer the whole flexibility like win7 virtual pc (like the "seamless" startmenu entries in win7).
    TIA, LX.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:09 PM
  • hello again,
    after a long while - where most of the time virtualbox needed to format the virtual harddisk to be used for whs installation and then whs to format it again ;-) - i´m proud to say that my whs runs pp3!

just for others who have to do the same, the process overview is:
    > download and install virtualbox
    > set up the virtual pc with at least 65GB disk
    > insert whs dvd and install the whs
    > download and install neccessary security/bug fix packages
    > download and install pp1
    > download and install pp2
    > stop windows update here
    > install pp3 beta - sorry i don´t know where to download now, seems to be removed from connect ;-(
    > pp3 beta creates the neccessary $NtUninstallKB968349$ fodler&files hidden! under c:\windows
    > run uninstall.cmd from the pp3 beta folder on your whs (calls spuninst on the folder above)
    > restart and let windows update get you pp3 and the latest security patches

just one wish to support the ones who installed pp3 beta:
    it would be really nice if microsoft could offer a) the pp3 beta download (it seems to be gone) or b) the neccessary uninstall folder&files. users like me who deleted the pp3 would be left alone otherwise!

many thanks to your help.
    ys, LX.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:13 PM
  • hello again,
    after a long while - where most of the time virtualbox needed to format the virtual harddisk to be used for whs installation and then whs to format it again ;-) - i´m proud to say that my whs runs pp3!

just for others who have to do the same, the process overview is:
    > download and install virtualbox
    > set up the virtual pc with at least 65GB disk
    > insert whs dvd and install the whs
    > download and install neccessary security/bug fix packages
    > download and install pp1
    > download and install pp2
    > stop windows update here
    > install pp3 beta - sorry i don´t know where to download now, seems to be removed from connect ;-(
    > pp3 beta creates the neccessary $NtUninstallKB968349$ fodler&files hidden! under c:\windows
    > run uninstall.cmd from the pp3 beta folder on your whs (calls spuninst on the folder above)
    > restart and let windows update get you pp3 and the latest security patches

just one wish to support the ones who installed pp3 beta:
    it would be really nice if microsoft could offer a) the pp3 beta download (it seems to be gone) or b) the neccessary uninstall folder&files. users like me who deleted the pp3 would be left alone otherwise!

many thanks to your help.
    ys, LX.
    Although I can't guarantee this, I suspect that installing PP3 RTM in your VM would give you pretty much the same file names and folder structures as PP3 beta (at least enough to do an uninstall), so you could just copy the uninstall folder from PP3 RTM in your VM to your real server.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:14 AM